- Contract Type
- Full Time
Design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. Founded more than 250 years ago, they have adapted, developed and grown into a multi-billion pound business at the forefront of global technology.
Summary of Position
The primary function of the role is to manage and implement a material packaging strategy for the plant. Implementing the standard for packaging and working towards a common approach as well as delivering local solutions with a view to reduce cost, complexity and safety and environmental issues. Working closely with the Supplier network, internal facilities and across the Customer base on all aspects of material packaging.
- Manage the development of a site container system, standardising where possible, ensuring compliance with group standards.
- Development of container management system including cleaning methods, schedules, maintenance and repairs of pallet pools.
- Support the ongoing development and implementation of workflow and storage systems throughout the company
- Development of company labelling system to be in line with customer and guidelines
- Manage the reduction of costs and environment issues in respect to disposable packaging.
- Ensure that risk assessments are in place for existing packaging and any new introductions and those solutions take consideration to ergonomic requirements and have been approved by the site Loss Prevention Manager.
- Preparation and management of packaging budget, capex, repairs and replacement.
- Manage supplier packaging cost improvements in conjunction with the purchasing organisation.
- Manage the design and introduction of new packaging/material handling systems in line with new product launches, ensuring both internal and customer requirements are met.
- Manage cost recovery for new external packaging from customers including repair cost.
- Ensure adequate customer agreements are in place via the account teams prior to spend commitment, including repair ownership on all new Product Launches.
- Ensure correct change control management is adhered to with due regard to cost, safety and standards
- Perform all packaging related cost and feasibility studies taking into account, capacity, budget, production costs, lead times and safety & environment.
- Organise prototype packaging/ handling.
- Calculate and advise correct pallet pool quantities.
- Maintain/order one-way packaging material based on customer requirements
- Ensure that all material handling is optimised to ensure efficient internal and transport space utilisation.
- Arranging packaging stocktake and maintain the customers/suppliers pallet pool
- Maintain the packaging records in QAD and ALTEA
- Maintain the internal/external packaging specs to be in line with the latest agreements
- Support various material handling projects to improve the material flow
- Manage if any customer/supplier packaging concerns
Education/ Experience/ Skills
- Relevant professional qualification and/or suitable background experience in material handling and packaging design.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience of lean manufacture, kanban and kaizen appreciated.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess excellent personal organisation and business administration skills.
- Possess the ability to work productively, efficiently and effectively with initiative and drive under tight timescales and pressure whilst maintaining attention to detail and quality.
- MS Office - excel, QAD advantage
Capabilities and Personal Attributes
- Develop and deploy a vision - Develops personal objectives that clearly link to company goals
- Achieve through people - Works well as part of an EI team, Coaches and supports others, influences and communicates effectively
- Lead change - Embraces change, constantly learns and develops self
- Drive performance - Constantly develops own performance, focusing on speed, efficiency and effective execution
- Customer relationships & partnerships - Measures success through the eyes of the customer, works effectively across different cultures
- Emotional Intelligence - Develops accurate picture of self by reflecting on interactions and seeking feedback, manages own emotions appropriately
- Executive Disposition - Takes a positive, proactive approach
- Drive to Achieve - Learns from mistakes and sees them as opportunities to learn
- Ownership - Takes personal responsibility for own actions, has the courage to face difficult conversations honestly
Lives the company values - Balances humility and self-confidence, does the right thing even when no-one is watching, champions the company