Audit Senior - Public Sector
At Grant Thornton we're driven by a purpose of shaping a vibrant economy, based on trust and integrity in markets, dynamic businesses, and communities where businesses and people thrive. By living our purpose and focusing on quality, we strive to be the go-to-firm for growth. We’ve created our own unique culture - one that offers the opportunities of a major organisation in a personal, close-knit environment and that's built around a Challenger Leadership style and a Shared Enterprise model.
We provide a wide range of audit and assurance services to private, public and international companies across various sectors. We audit over 8,500 firms annually, ranging from FTSE and AIM companies to Small Medium Sized Enterprise (SME) companies. Our people are committed to delivering best-in-class assurance services in locations where you are. We respond to the challenges of our clients with high quality, value for money technical solutions every time.
Your role as a Public Sector Audit Executive will be to lead on site audit teams, effectively providing a hands on compliance and or advisory role that meets or exceeds client expectations and supports the partner or manager team.
• Takes responsibility for wider client management and liaison on smaller less complex assignments
• Takes an active part in the audit planning discussions to identify audit risks and appropriate audit strategy
• Communicates any issues relating to an audit with manager or partner including matters which arise during the audit which were not identified at the planning stage
• Oversees all aspects of audit fieldwork and completion
• Prepares or reviews work papers and drafts of the financial statements
• Produces client deliverables, specifically drafting sections of the report to management
• Addresses, discusses and advances conclusion in respect of technical and audit issues identified during the course of the audit
• Maintains up to date understanding of clients' business
• Maintains good working relationships with client employees
• Adheres to the firms risk management policies and procedures, including being familiar with and consulting the audit manual
• Delegates work to other members of the audit team, ensuring associates understand their responsibilities and have received appropriate on-the-job training or coaching
• Maintains an understanding of audit methodology
• Controls the audit in relation to timescales and risk management procedures
• Consistently achieves deadlines and understands the commercial implications of actions relating to productivity, recoverability, fee income and client service
Experience/ Qualifications required
- Fully qualified ACA/ CA/ CIPFA/ CPA or equivalent
- Experience of external audit in a professional services environment, preferably with public sector / not for profit clients
Grant Thornton Birmingham comprises approximately 25 Partners and Directors and 350 staff.
We have a fantastic team culture within the office and everyone is actively encouraged to provide their views and ideas to ensure the continued success of the office. We expect every member of staff to be able to interact well with clients, so that we are seen as a trusted advisor.
In return, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, and Birmingham office staff also have free membership to the on-site state-of-the-art gym, as well as taking advantage of the treatment rooms, concierge service, and social clubs.
As we implement our Vision 2020 strategy, Birmingham will be a key contributor towards achieving the firm's ambitions given the introduction of numerous external initiatives to help the region become an Engine for Growth