We’re looking for a driven and committed Head Chef who has a passion for food and inspiring others to deliver great results and exceed customer’s expectations. Joining our fast paced, passionate team at a fantastic time you’ll love working with local, home-grown produce, picked fresh every day from our very own walled garden. You’ll use your passion for offering the very best to maximise income opportunities so that the profit can be reinvested back into our important conservation work.
What it's like to work here
We have transformed our catering operation at Attingham to improve our offer for the 400,000 visitors we welcome every year. Our 150 cover Carriage House Café has been expanded with 2 extra counters, a brand new purpose built catering production kitchen and new equipment, additional storage and goods-in provision. These new facilities also supply the 3 other food outlets at Attingham.
We really understand the importance of locally, responsibly sourced ingredients which is why we have been awarded the Bronze-level Food for Life Catering Mark at Attingham. As an organisation we are continually looking for ways to improve our sourcing standards, supply chain and food offer.
There really is something for everyone and our front and back of house catering team work hard to offer fresh, seasonal food for all of our visitors so we can continue to be locally loved.
What you'll be doing
With your love of food and your appetite to provide an exceptional service to your customers you’ll deliver delicious food prepared by your team using the National Trust Cookbook framework. Leading and inspiring our team of 6 chefs and 4 kitchen porters you’ll focus on exceeding our customers’ expectations ensuring each dish is fresh, tasty and beautifully presented every time.
The National Trust Cookbook provides our properties with core menus working towards our food strategy of linking food to our relationships with special places. Working with the Catering Management team here at Attingham you'll use your creativity to develop delicious menus, using local and produce from our walled garden, that adapt to the seasons, to delight visitors with our spirit of place and provide great value for money. You’ll be constantly seeking and developing new income opportunities, working to achieve financial targets and increase margins by minimising waste and controlling costs and resources.
Through effective people management, leadership, use of our online systems, and with the National Trust ethos at the forefront of your mind, you’ll motivate the team of staff and volunteers to strive for a culture of exceptional service and make it a great place to work. You’ll ensure everyone has the necessary training and is compliant with relevant legislation and internal processes including food hygiene and COSHH procedures.
Who we're looking for
With your passion for food and excellent people management skills, you’ll work with and lead your team to deliver exceptional customer service.
You need to be;
- Customer focussed with great verbal and written communication skills
- An inspirational leader
- An experienced people manager including setting personal objectives and providing feedback
- Creative and proactive and love seeking out new opportunities
- Qualified in food preparation and cooking to City & Guilds or NVQ L3 or equivalent
- IT literate
And it will be helpful if you can demonstrate the following experience on your CV/application;
- Experience of successfully developing a fast paced, catering outlet to achieve performance targets
- A track record of delivering exceptional customer service
- A good working knowledge of Health & Safety compliance requirements including any qualifications
- A proven track record of managing budgets
Looking after you
Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking