Graduate Technical Designer
We are looking for a Technical Designer who can contribute in some, or all, of the following areas with regard to lighting: system design, product technical design, control design, technical architecture of the solution, on-site technical support. The role will also work with and support suppliers, staff and customers with technical information, analysing faults, producing solutions and ultimately managing customer’s expectations.
Your duties will include but are not limited to:
- Technical support for the designers; working with the team to ensure their designs for clients are technically 'fit for purpose’
- Working with others to design new products, systems and controls that can be offered to clients at the leading edge of lighting design.
- Technical site support; liaising with a variety of roles from architects to electricians to ensure the installation process is seamless.
- Planning your own workload to ensure you are working effectively with their suppliers, customers and peers.
- Providing expert guidance on lighting technology for the team.
- Ensuring marketing appropriately reflects technical strengths, products and services.
- Maintaining effective and accurate project files for every project.
- Providing a technical professional point of contact for architects, builders, electricians, designers, etc.
- To discuss designs, technical elements and options to resolve any design challenges.
- To provide on-site and telephone support.
- Developing short, medium and long term business opportunities with a technical bias.
- Research and Development to extend the design portfolio.
- Capitalising on new technologies through research, analysis and monitoring of technological and demographic factors.
- Evaluating market research to ensure meet the changing market and competitive conditions.Skills Experience
Skills and Experience
- Able to visualize a space and design from a drawing or verbal description.
- A motivated self-starter who can manage their time effectively.
- A good communicator able to present confidently and clearly both internally and externally.
- Able to present design concepts and technical information to a cross-section of individuals.
- Helping clients to fully understand the basis of recommendations made.
- Managing the expectations of the team, suppliers and clients.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- A practical individual who is able to take an idea and turn it into a workable solution.
- Negotiation skills with the ability to negotiate product suitability, quality, price, etc.
A breadth of the following skills are required for this position.
- Electronics including feedback systems
Technical light fitting (product) design to include:
Light output, understanding the chip, lens or reflector
Heat sinking and thermodynamics
- Understanding of technical driver design including PCB layout
- Control methods and dimming via Switch, Push and Signal interfaces and protocols Mains PWM and Current reduction, DALI, DMX, Ethernet, RDM.
- Control programming for lighting systems, Dynalite, Vantage, Lutron, Rako
- Control understanding of entry level systems like Philips HUE and Nest
- understanding of technical lighting considerations
- Innovative lighting design
- Project management
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) is essential
- LM-IMS (ERP Integrated Management System) training will be provided
- Relux / Dailux (lighting calculation software) some knowledge would be useful but training will be provided
- AutoCAD / Revit again some training would be useful but training will be provided