Project Engineer - Chassis (defence)
I am currently looking for a permanent Project Engineer - Chassis to join a world-class defence company.
They are a well-established Company with a firm focus on the future, they are commercially successful, growing fast and stand out from the crowd.
The Company is a market leader in business aviation; land and expeditionary combat systems; armaments and munitions; shipbuilding and marine systems; and information systems and technologies.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for supporting chassis integration activities across the various Europe contracts. The role will involve working with an adaptable team of engineers across the multi-discipline needs of contracts to propose design solutions to resolve problems. The role may require off site working at other facilities, customer or third party premises as programme requirements dictate. The individual should have a proven knowledge and understanding enabling support to the design, development and sign off of technical aspects of the programme with regards to the following areas:
- Steering (Front and Rear) including geometry, linkages, installation and related production tolerance issues
- Brakes Systems including Foundation Brakes, Related Hydraulics, ABS, Park Brake
- Suspension including Torsion Bars, Anti Roll Bars, Control Arms, Dampers, Bushes
- Hydraulic systems related to both basic functions and special purpose applications.
- Chassis / Vehicle structures including fabrication design, understanding of engineering materials and interpretation of FEA results
- Familiarity with related Legislative and Certification requirements for Road Vehicles
- Familiarity with DFMEA and Safety case preparation
- The individual will be able to support the multi-disciplinary team and may act as Point of Contact for Chassis and Powertrain on specific aspects of the program.
Further responsibilities may include:
- Working with suppliers to design and specify vehicle systems and related issue resolution
- Working with CAD team to define installation requirements and support internal and external design reviews.
- Working with Lead Engineers to define test and validation requirements
- Working with Purchasing to support cost reduction initiatives
- Prepare documentation material for reporting technical issue resolution.
- Support critical design appraisals throughout the design and development life-cycle.
Experience, Qualifications & Competency Requirements: Essential Skills:
- Degree qualified in relevant engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- A proven track record in the design and development of chassis engineering ideally of small scale production, a breadth and depth of knowledge.
- Experience of engineering vehicle systems designs against requirements and targets including performance and reliability
- Ability to liaise with and present information to multi-disciplined team members.
- Ability to interpret mechanical design requirements and propose appropriate design solutions.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written skills.
- Experience of drawing release through CAD, review and approval of supplier drawings and specifications
- Familiarity with CAE thermal analysis tools, performance simulation tools, driveline sizing calculations
- Preparation and documentation of FMEA's/FMA etc.
- Hold or be capable of holding security clearance up to the level of SC
- Must hold a full driving license and be insured for Business Travel