Graduate Engineer - Pavements
Location: Birmingham City Centre (Temporarily Sutton Coldfield)
Reporting to: Team Manager/Senior Engineer
Kier Strategic Highways is looking to recruit a Graduate Engineer to provide support to the project team by undertaking technical project tasks on time, within budget and to the agreed standards.
- Undertake scheme investigation, site inspections & investigation, data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, preliminary/detailed design, preparation of tender documents and construction inspection/supervision & other activities.
- Prepare technical design calculations, drawings, reports, tender documents, specifications, designer's risk assessments and other CDM documentation and other documents. Competently use specialist software.
- Agree delivery targets with senior staff and report regularly on progress towards milestones.
- Assist with the delivery of small projects or a small programme of work with minimal supervision.
- Work in accordance with EM's systems and procedures, including those relating to SHEQ, project & risk management.
- Be a proactive and collaborative team member, work closely with colleagues. Fit seamlessly into a delivery team.
- Take ownership of own career development using relevant company procedures and undertake additional learning.
- Contribute to the development of technical solutions at feasibility, preliminary and detailed design stages.
- Prepare sketches and drawings for Technicians to develop using AutoCAD.
- Contribute to technical excellence and innovation in the team.
- Ensure that your personal utilisation targets are met.
- Work collaboratively alongside other teams.
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Working towards Incorporated or Chartered Status of a relevant professional institution.
- Competency in Autocad.
- Gaining knowledge in design of highway improvement or maintenance schemes to UK standards.
- Gaining knowledge in pavement materials.
- Gaining knowledge in the main management systems & processes used within a similar consultancy business.
- Gaining knowledge in relevant design software and standards.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- IT Literate.
- Able to work under own initiative and to seek advice when necessary
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate globally across a range of sectors including defence, education, health, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
With a network of 88 UK offices Kier offers national coverage across all of its core activities. Employing 22,000 people, Kier has the financial strength and technical expertise to undertake some of the most significant construction, civil engineering and service contracts in the country.
Kier is an equality and diversity employer