Robert Half Finance and Accounting are currently partnering with the University of Birmingham to identify an experienced Treasury Manager to join the Financial Services Team.
In order to deliver long term financial sustainability the University has short, long and medium term investments which are in place to deliver capital growth and regular income to fund building and development plans, specific activities, and day to day operations. The University has also taken advantage of low interest rates and beneficial terms to enter into a number of loans which have enabled short term capital spending to be delivered with the repayments over the longer term funded from enhanced activities.
This role is responsible for the policies, procedures and day to day management of the treasury needs of the University, incorporating oversight of foreign currency, cash, investments and loans portfolios with a view to delivering the associated strategies and reporting to the relevant committees and trustees. The post holder also provides support to the BPAS Investment and Funding committee.
- Deliver day to day investment management of the University and BPAS investment portfolios in association with appointed investment managers and advisors to drive the performance in accordance with set out guidelines and strategies
- Liaise with investment managers to suggest investment strategies, strategic asset allocations and operational changes
- Manage the in and out flows of funds from the investment portfolios in line with operational requirements in association with the Head of Transaction Services and BPAS Trustees
- Ensure that the accounting records for investment holdings and income are maintained in accordance with financial regulations and UK GAAP such that a true and fair view of the investment position is available at least on a quarterly basis from the accounting records
- Identify and report treasury risks inherent within the portfolio to the Deputy Director of Finance and propose mechanisms for mitigation and management
- Monitor credit ratings of the banks and investment managers used by the University and BPAs to develop counter party risk strategies
- When required to lead on the negotiation and arrangement of any new loan arrangements to or by the University
- Ensure all relevant approvals for loans are up to date and in accordance with Financial regulations
- Manage and demonstrate compliance with all covenants on external loan agreements
- Manage intercompany loan documentation for subsidiaries and associated companies
- Seek confirmation of compliance with any covenants on loans to subsidiaries and associated companies
- Ensure that the accounting records for loan and swap holdings are maintained in accordance with financial regulations and UK GAAP such that a true and fair view of the investment position is available at least on a quarterly basis from the accounting records
- Manage year end valuation process for loans and swap and ensure that all requirements for the University's annual accounts and report are in compliance with UK GAAP
- To provide advice on the cash management requirements, hedging and other instruments to mitigate the risk of the impact of foreign exchange
- Manage Treasury's input in producing the University's annual accounts and report e.g. Going Concern and funding related notes
- Deliver Treasury's external audit requirements in relation to the University's annual accounts and report and covenants
- Provide monthly reporting to Director of Finance on the investment holdings, valuation and income levels
- Provide reporting to meetings of the Investment sub-committee on University investment holdings, valuation, performance and income levels
- Suggest improvements in the Treasury function, policies, procedures and systems in accordance with best practice and external advice
- Support system, process and policy development in other associated areas (including contributions to the new finance system currently under development)
- Responsible for the day to day management of team members, overseeing and directing activities, providing coaching, and delivering development and performance management
- Finance and Treasury experience with large businesses involving complex arrangements and delivering Treasury management services in a commercial environment
- Good understanding of accounting standards and particularly accounting for financial instruments and investments
- Good understanding of corporate risk management techniques for balance sheet
- Strong IT skills with experience in development, testing and roll out of Treasury systems and processes
- Some understanding of Banking, Capital Markets and Treasury related taxation issues
- Preferably a Qualified Accountant or equivalent; holding an ACT Qualification or having a willingness to study for one
SALARY AND BENEFITS
A highly competitive salary and benefits package is offered + flexible working + generous pension + excellent holidays.
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75240950