Gross Margin Accountant
Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team and expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Warwick, Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We're looking for a Gross Margin Accountant to join our Finance Team to help us continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
Reporting into the Gross Margin Manager, the Gross Margin Accountant will assist in the routine delivery and continuing development of gross margin reporting and forecasting. The role holder wil work with the wider business to add depth of understanding to the results and the variances to Plan.
The role day to day
- Prepare and deliver timely and accurate reporting of gross margin position for the monthly management accounts.
- Support the provision of gross margin cost data inputs to the monthly forecasting process.
- Work across the wider business to validate reported numbers, capturing reconciliations to alternative data sources and providing explanations for variance to Plan / forecast.
- Work with the Data and Insight Team to develop and enhance the monthly gross margin processed in the context of a rapidly changing business.
- Work alongside Finance Team members to fully embrace the functionality our finance specific reporting systems offer.
- Support the monitoring and reporting of KPIs relating to risks within the gross margin, validating the source data underpinning these.
- Work with project teams across the business to ensure the finance reporting models evolve in line with business developments.
What you'll need to help you make the best of the role
- An accountancy qualification.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in Microsoft Excel.
- Independent motivation with a drive for continuous improvement.
- An analytical and logical approach with an ability to derive clear conclusions from complex data sets.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, that can be applied confidently at all levels throughout the business.
- Efficient and effective working both within a team and on an independent basis.
The 'nice to have's'
- Existing knowledge of the utilities industry would be advantageous.
What you'll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it's not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We're proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we've held on to as we've grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday.
So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it's important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.