Medical Secretary Bank
BMI Healthcare has a reputation based on 30 years of clinical excellence and commitment to our patients and staff. Our mission is to deliver exceptional experiences for the patients treated in hospitals throughout the UK – and to do that, we need exceptional people.
BMI Healthcare’s Edgbaston Hospital has a vacancy for a Medical Secretary (Bank) to join their team of staff.
This is a bank role working on an “as and when required” basis, you will be required to supplement staffing levels during busy periods and provide cover for existing staff in times of annual leave or absence. The department operating hours are between 8am-5pm.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Preferred GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- AMSPAR qualified preferably with experience in a number of specialities including orthopaedic and gynaecology (or equivalent Medical Secretarial qualifications, including Medical Terminology and audio typing skills).
- Experience within a similar role in a Medical Environment
- Experience of working in a customer focused environment.
- High level of IT and keyboard skills.
- Good organisation and analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to plan ahead and prioritise workload
- Team player
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in both verbal and written English
- Flexible approach and attitude in order to meet the changing and expanding needs of the role and of the clinic.
Duties of this role include:
- To assist the Senior Medical Secretary and Patient Services Manager in providing a first class administrative and secretarial support to consultants.
- To promote and maintain a professional and efficient service to patients, GP’s, colleagues and external contracts.
- To be aware of the confidentiality of the work, understanding and respecting the needs of the above groups.
- Support the clinic, dealing with all the requests and enquiries received from the consultants and associates via telephone, letter and email.
- To use a number of systems efficiently dependant on which consultant you are working for. These include but not restricted to ultra gender, relax, medisoft, practise manager, PeopleSoft.
- Collection of accurate patient information to ensure prompt and complete payment of accounts
- To process incoming / outgoing post promptly and where appropriate to pull notes and leave with correspondence for consultants to action – Ensuring follow through of all enquiries into the clinic
- Main patient contact – developing relationship with patient from booking, to quote, through to surgery.
- Gaining quote for any surgery required
- Raising Consultant invoices via billing system/s and in line with the appropriate fee scale for inpatient and outpatient visits and treatments. Chasing payments and taking payments for consultants as specified.
- To compile a monthly list of activity for all consultants involved within the clinic.
- Maintain consultants clinic and theatre diaries as requested, updating with the requested information
- Audio typing of correspondence following dictation by the Consultant from outpatient clinics
- Booking outpatient appointments using the hospital’s appointment system ensuring full minimum data set is collected to include credit / debit cards.
- To send appointment letters and registration forms to patients as appropriate.
Please see attached role profile for further detailed information on the responsibilities and accountabilities of this vacancy.
Salary & Benefits:
BMI Healthcare offers a competitive hourly rate.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please complete our brief online application form and ensure to upload the most recent copy of CV. We aim to respond to your application within 14 days of the closing date.