Building Surveying Technician
The Estates Office at the University of Warwick are looking for a Building Surveying Technician to assume responsibility for the management and delivery of Estates projects.
The Estate of the University of Warwick is a very exciting mix of several hundred public buildings, including an Arts Centre, laboratories, teaching facilities, offices, storage and warehousing, conference facilities, residential accommodation, roads, car parking and drainage, district central heating and utilities. This estate represents significant professional challenges which include effectively managing health and safety, particularly around asbestos, project management planning and programming in a complicated and complex environment and successfully achieving difficult milestones and deadlines.
The Special Projects Team deliver an annual budget of approximately £15m. The work is a combination of refurbishment, decoration, and minor new works.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and assist in the management of construction projects and minor projects in a collaborative and team based approach, including planning, design, specification and supervision taking a pro-active role in developing the projects to meet client department requirements.
- Prepare Health & Safety information, with the assistance of the Estates Health and Safety Advisor and manage health and safety throughout the life of the project.
- Manage the preparation of project briefs and feasibility with client departments, preparing drawings, specifications and reports as required. Identifying the need for specialist consultant input as required.
- Liaise with client departments and consultants to ascertain requirements, developing these into approved schemes, preparing outline or detailed cost estimates, cost plans, programmes of work and detailed drawings for approval by client departments.
- Obtain planning permission, building control approval and other legislative approvals liaising closely with statutory authorities to make sure all works are compliant with legislation.
- Liaise with the Purchasing department during the procurement process, including furniture installation and tendering works using a variety of contract types.
- Preparation of works orders, contract documentation, variation orders and authorisation of invoices for payment.
- Carry out contract administration including, financial management.
- On-site supervision and quality control of all schemes, compliance with programme, drawings, specification & legislative requirements. Managing the commissioning and handover of the projects and ensuring handover of documentation is complete.
Skills and experience:
- HNC or first degree or similar equivalent professional qualification in a construction or building related discipline.
- Relevant construction industry experience in a project delivery environment and experience working with contractors.
- Understanding and experience of construction technology, building design and specification.
- Health and Safety Awareness qualification would be desirable.
- Microsoft Office and It based project planning knowledge.
- Ability to develop internal and external relations.
- Ability to negotiate and persuade at a project level.
University of Warwick
If you would like to apply, please make sure you demonstrate in your cover letter how you match the duties and skills required for this particular role.