Training Contract - Commencing in the Civil Billing Department - Harro
Duncan Lewis Solicitors is the largest provider of Legal aid services with 800 staff and consultants in offices throughout the UK.
Due to a substantial increase in work, our Billing & Costing Department is looking to recruit paralegals who have completed a law degree, to work in our Billing team, which comprises of 30 staff based in our Harrow office. The role will result in the offer of a training contact commencing after nine months in the billing department depending on performance.
The main tasks will involve:-
- Processing files to be sent to external cost draftsman/cost lawyers for bills to be drawn.
- Managing own case load whilst processing Legal Aid bills including Claim1's/Claim1A's and ensuring files are sent to the Legal Aid Agency without delay, if required.
- Preparing Detailed Bill Assessment Bundles to send to Senior Courts Costs Office and other Courts.
- Preparing Assessment Certificate Bundles to send to Court for Sealing at Post Assessment stage.
- Assisting with payment of expert invoices or Counsel's fees upon final reconciliation.
- Corresponding and liaising with experts, Counsel and other professionals to ensure LAA billing standards are being met.
- Liaising with the Back Office Support Team to ensure Billing Report figures are maintained and up to date.
- Archiving files and obtaining closure of costing file upon authorisation and receipt of payment for final bill.
- Processing bills payable by third parties.
- Preparing Bill/Schedule of Costs to be served.
- Reviewing and considering Points of Dispute received from the paying party.
- Preparing to serve Replies to Points of Dispute.
- Considering and analysing Part 36/Without Prejudice Offers received.
- Assess to formulate and propose counter offers/Part 36 offers.
- Corresponding/negotiating with the paying party to settle.
- Preparing Assessment Bundles to send to Court for Provisional Assessment.
- Preparing Final Costs Certificate to send to Court for sealing.
- Completing Final Claim2 Report to send to LAA for costs recovered and costs payable by LAA.
- Ensuring correct reconciliation of the matter to obtain closure of the costing file.
Key Skills Required:
The successful candidates must have:-
• Good attention to detail
• Excellent numerical skills
• Self motivated with the ability to work on own initiative and to tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent IT skills with ability to process information using relevant software (databases, spreadsheet packages).
• Business acumen
Completion of a degree in Law is essential.
The company will provide training within the department on processing the bills.
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.
We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.
For further information about Duncan Lewis visit our website.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY AGENCIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THE ABOVE VACANCIES