SQL Database Administrator
You will be a key player in the success of our data centre transformation programme, an exciting opportunity to deliver new infrastructure technologies, disaster recovery solutions and backup technologies within the Datacentre. To work and liaise with our IT technical community and wider delivery partners to implement and transition to new infrastructure within our Datacentre.
Supporting the Head of IT Operations and team through the major refresh programme of all SQL related migrations and best practices, you will design and implement support processes and standards that help us get the best out of our SQL environments while staying compliant with our security and regulatory compliance standards.
You will develop performance monitoring and reporting that will help us plan for future capacity demands and will be required to design and maintain a roadmap of future development & investment into SQL following best practice routines.
This role will be required to support all SQL related databases which relates to but is not limited by, ensuring proactive support, indexing, monitoring of SQL clustering, failover technologies and testing, etc.
Reporting to the Group Head of IT Operations you will be required to diagnose and complete daily escalations as and when required as well as working strategically to plan for immediate projects and the future.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting and working directly on the implementation of the key infrastructure refresh projects
- Troubleshooting SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Managing communication around issues and changes to the business users
- Ensuring that the platforms remain highly available recommending future developments as required to sustain performance
- Designing, introducing and maintaining standards and processes that are compliant with our security requirements and regulatory obligations
- Ensuring that systems are documented and kept current
- Taking complete ownership of the SQL server platform and work with key technical colleagues to ensure we have a stable, secure and current environment. Be able to install and configure new SQL Servers
- Communicating to all parts of the business including but not limited to, senior management and CEO's. Must have the ability to explain technical issues in 'layman's terms'
- Configuring SQL Server monitoring utilities to minimize false alarms and ensure accurate reporting metrics
- Ensuring all databases are backed up and test backup to ensure the business can meet recovery time objectives
- Deploying and managing SQL Change scripts provided by 3rd Parties and ensure all pass through the Change Management Board
- When performance issues arise, Determining the most effective way to improve including hardware assignment, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Must have a good standard of education to at least degree level OR demonstrate equivalent skills and ability
- Industry recognised certifications are required
- Microsoft Certified professional, MCSA: SQL Server required
- Strong problem solving skills
- SQL Server 2003/2005/2008/2012/2014 knowledge essential
- Evidence of ongoing learning ability essential
- ITIL certification desirable
- VMware knowledge desirable but not essential
- Microsoft Azure knowledge desirable
Working knowledge/Personality attributes
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience of managing and maintaining large-scale, highly available, business critical SQL systems within a VMWare estate
- Extract Transform and load (ELT) knowledge essential
- Extensive experience with a broad range of Microsoft SQL Server software from 2003 till 2016
- Primary knowledge on Microsoft based software
- Must be fully able to build, configure, manage and support SQL server environments, including clustering, mirroring, DR, etc.
- Experience in design and implementation of new SQL solutions in line with application requirements, including monitoring, indexing requirements, etc.
- Exposure to cloud SQL PaaS solutions
- Exposure to Datacentre infrastructure SAN's, Hyper converged Systems, Cisco networking, DRaaS, BaaS, etc.
- Ability to think strategically and evaluate options in the short, medium and long term
- Ability to cope in a technically complex and fast-changing environment, and to respond calmly and rationally to changing aspirations in a deadline-driven situation
- Strong planning and organising skills including the ability to manage several work streams simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills with a capacity to present, discuss and explain issues coherently and logically both in writing and verbally
- Good influencing and persuasion skills with the ability to enthuse and inspire multidisciplinary teams and build successful relationships at all levels
- Clear decision-making ability with the facility to judge complex situations and assess when to escalate issues
The OCS Group is one of the UK's leading providers of facilities management and property support services, employing over 25,000 people in the UK. We have been at the forefront of developing integrated Facilities Management, becoming a seamless extension of our clients' businesses by delivering best in class services. How have we achieved such success? It is through our dedicated teams of industry experts who work in partnership with our clients to deliver innovative FM solutions.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/75437609