Engineer - Pavements
Location: Birmingham City Centre (Temporarily Sutton Coldfield)
Kier Strategic Highways are looking to recruit an Engineer who will report to the Team Manager/Senior Engineer. The successful post holder will be responsible for the delivery of technical outputs of projects or service areas to the meet the client's brief.
- Undertake services within an engineering environment which may include (but not limited to); scheme investigation, site inspections, data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents and works/construction inspection and supervision.
- Prepare technical designs in accordance with approved design procedures.
- Prepare technical documents and drawings for checking and approval.
- Exercise independent engineering judgement and provide innovative solutions to engineering problems.
- Manage delivery of small projects or a small programme of work with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of Health, Safety and Welfare and CDM Responsibilities, as well as relevant company procedures.
- Ensure that delivery is achieved in accordance with the company's systems and procedures, including those relating to SHEQ, Health and Safety, project and risk management.
- Be a proactive and collaborative team member.
- Contribute to technical excellence and innovation across the team.
- Agree delivery targets with senior staff and report regularly on progress towards milestones.
- Take responsibility for own personal development with the support of line manager, following an agreed programme.
- Assist in the development of other team members (e.g. Assistant Engineers/Graduate Engineers/Technicians).
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Working towards a chartered / incorporated status of a relevant professional institution.
- Have substantial knowledge of, and experience in, design of highway improvement and maintenance schemes to UK standards.
- Knowledge and practical experience in Pavement Engineering and Materials.
- Experience of Value Managing pavement schemes using Highways England's processes and procedures.
- Experience in using the Highways Agency's Pavement Management System (HAPMS) and Software for the Whole-life Economic Evaluation of Pavements (SWEEP).
- Have a working knowledge and experience of the main management systems & processes used within a similar business.
- Experience and a working knowledge of relevant design software and standards.
- Experience of working on design and build contracts (desirable)
- Ability to act as competent designer.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- IT Literate.
- Able to work under own initiative and to seek advice when necessary, you will have the drive and determination to meet targets.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate globally across a range of sectors including defence, education, health, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
With a network of 88 UK offices Kier offers national coverage across all of its core activities. Employing 22,000 people, Kier has the financial strength and technical expertise to undertake some of the most significant construction, civil engineering and service contracts in the country.
Kier is an equality and diversity employer.