Randstad are currently recruiting for a Workforce Manager on behalf of the West Midlands Police, based within Birmingham City Centre.
Salary £39,522 - £43,473
- To lead the Forces approach to workforce Design encompassing job evaluation, job sizing, spans of responsibility and management tiers to ensure the force has effective, efficient and resilient organisational structures.
- Engage with managers at all levels to provide strategic advice on organisational design and ensure that organisational design principles are considered at the early stages of any people related change programmes
- To benchmark specific jobs against the external market and work with People and OD colleagues to ensure the force is able to attract and retain talent.
- Develop and maintain competency library against all police officer and police staff roles within the business to provide a key foundation for the force to develop a talent development approach.
- In conjunction with People and OD colleagues develop and maintain career pathways plans for the force.
- As force subject matter expert on Workforce Design develop and implement a new approach to job evaluation that delivers an efficient, fair and robust approach for the business.
- Manage and develop the forces' organisational design methodologies bringing together siloed processes into one new value adding approach that provides a 'one stop shop' approach to organisational design for managers.
- Work with the Workforce Optimisation Manager to make recommendations on workforce structure that delivers the most effective organisational design.
- With People and OD colleagues develops the forces' approach to career pathways with responsibility for creating, maintaining and publishing the forces' career pathways for use by all levels of the organisation
- Monitor spans of responsibility in the force and work with the business and the Workforce Optimisation Manager to move the force closer to the spans ratio evidenced in the methodology.
- Provide advice to the stakeholders on best practice of workforce design
- Responsible for all job evaluation decisions
- Champion the spans of responsibility methodology within the force and increase the methodologies use and reputation with senior leaders
- Engage with external bodies to benchmark the forces approach to workforce design and ensure best practice is followed.
- Engage with staff associations to ensure that the new workforce evaluation approach and wider organisational design process to transparent and understood
- Develop relationships with Business Transformation to ensure that organisational design principles are considered at an early stage of change programmes
- Responsible for ensuring that all job evaluation decisions comply with equal pay principles
- Input into the development and implementation of the Force's policies, ensuring organisational design requirements are considered and reflected where appropriate
- Ensure that all workforce design decisions are communicated in timely manner to managers and records accurately reflect the agreed decision
- Manage any equal pay risks relating to grading at a force level
Change Management and Delivery
- Liaising with Business Partners and the business regarding any increases in establishment to ensure that the spans of responsibility are effectively assessed.
- Work with Managers, Business Partners and Learning and Development to ensure that roles competencies and career pathways remain accurate and up to date
- Ensure that the principles of effective organisational design are a key consideration of any restructure by actively supporting the restructure as the organisational design subject matter expert
Monitor and Evaluate
- Work with the Head of Reward and Benefits to continually review and evaluate the existing pay structure and be proactive in addressing any future challenges to ensure it is in line with equal pay principles.
- Maintain an effective job evaluation library with the ability to benchmark attribute and overall scores across roles and provide objective rationale and evidence to support the scores
- Maintain an effective spans of responsibility library that enables effective bench marking to take place to support objective spans decisions
- Monitor and any changes in roles and evaluate the impact this has on agreed spans of responsibility
- Monitor any changes in external market pay rates and assess impact this could have on attraction and retention of talent proactively working with Business Partners and Reward colleagues to mitigate any risk
- Develop qualitative and quantitative measures to assess the effect and impact of organisational design methodologies to ensure they remain relevant for the force
- Responsible for the evaluation of the value of police staff roles and make a decision on the pay grading for ratification by the Head of Workforce Planning and Reporting
- Experienced (trained practitioner) of Hay job evaluation
- Experience of working with, negotiating and influencing senior stakeholders
- Working knowledge of Excel
- Experience of spans of responsibility methodology (supervisory ratios, management tiers)
- Good understanding of employment legislation with particular in depth knowledge of equal pay legislation
Please apply on line
Randstad Business Support acts as an employment business when supplying temporary staff and as an employment agency when introducing candidates for permanent employment with a client. Randstad Business Support is an equal opportunities employer and decisions are made on merits alone.
Why not listen to some of the inspiring stories from our candidates and their one piece of career advice. It's just a few of the thousands of people who have found success in their working lives with Randstad. Visit to find out what you could become.