Senior Youth Worker
Our client is looking to recruit an experienced Senior Youth Worker to be based from their newly built youth and community centre in Nechells, Birmingham (once completed). Will be responsible for the management and supervision of the day to day youth and children’s activities.
As a registered charity, their mission is to improve the lives of children and young people living in Nechells, Birmingham introducing them to new experiences and widening their horizons. Services are delivered on and off site as well as on an ongoing basis and adhoc.
The successful applicant will have a proven track record of working with children and young people. This role will involve working with the Youth Manager to ensure the delivery of a programme of services and activities designed to have a positive and long-lasting effect on those attending.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for programmes and services alongside the Youth Manger, including staffing, allocated budgets and other resources, on a day to day basis.
Organise and deliver programmes and services to make sure they are being effective and delivered in accordance with all our policies and procedures. This includes making sure that resources (human and other) are been used correctly and effectively.
To take responsibility, with the youth manager, for the youth team (paid and voluntary) and to build a positive and supportive team of workers, that not only work well together but support other members of the wider team.
Support the youth manager with strategic planning, monitoring progress and evaluation of programmes.
Support the youth manager with Health & Safety within the youth department and ensuring Health & Safety legislation and guidelines are adhered to.
Actively promote equality of opportunity and ensure all responsibilities are undertaken.
Contribute to partnership working with key local agencies, representing the organisation at a senior level, including weekly breakfast network meetings.
Work with the youth manager to ensure the effective management, motivation, training and development of staff to meet service objectives, ensuring staff reviews are carried out regularly, training needs are identified and a training plan compiled.
Ensure that all youth staff duties are performed in line with corporate and legally obliging financial, safeguarding and other policy regulations.
- All other duties as may be properly assigned to this post.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in managing youth departments and projects
- At least 3 years’ experience of active face to face youth work in a similar setting/context
- Qualification in Youth & Community work
- Broad knowledge of youth and community issues, particularly with regard to:
- Young people from disadvantage communities
- Working with young people aged 0 – 25
- Building based youth work
- Outreach and issue based youth work
- Flexibility, early mornings, evenings, weekends, bank holidays and overnight stays may all be required
- Full and clean driving licence, preferably with the ability to drive a minibus