Principles Design Engineer
Purpose of Role
To produce signalling design details and drawings as instructed, commensurate with own knowledge and experience. Assist the Senior design Engineer with the deployment of the design teams resources and provide any relevant technical support necessary for the successful delivery of a particular Carillion Rail project(s) or work package.Principal Accountabilities
Produce signalling design details for railway-signalling schemes in accordance with all company standards, signalling principles and best practice.
Mentor junior designers and review designs produced by them when appointed to project(s) and work packages being produced within the team.
This will include, but is not limited to the following:
- Produce detailed signalling design details where specialist knowledge or experience is required, as directed by the design management.
- Experience and skills permitting, undertake independent checking of signalling design details.
- Assist the Senior Signalling Design Engineer and signalling design management with planning, project programmes and associated time and resource estimates and skills requirements.
- Provide technical guidance for the production of detailed signalling design.
- Review progress of junior staff.
- Implement the design scope, certifying that the designers working under your guidance understand the project requirements.
- Undertake risk assessments and analysis using the appropriate tools and methods required.
- Assist the design team in determining the scope of work for condition assessments, correlation and site surveys.
- Provide guidance on the resolution of technical issues, design process and resource issues.
- Make sure that satisfactory resolutions of technical queries and project anomalies are achieved.
- Develop and implement strategies for new/non-standard equipment.
- Check that adequate documentation has been received/produced to support detailed design and make sure a full audit trail of designs produced under your control exists as laid down by standards and procedures.
- Undertake design office cover during the commissioning of projects.
- Accompany design management to internal and client meetings as required.
- Compliance with, and implementation of, Company requirements in respect of Safety, Environment and Quality management (SEQ).
- Provide assistance to the Design Management during audits, briefings and matters regarding signalling principles as required.
IRSE Principles licence required or evidence of working towards one