At Discuss.io, we enable brands to connect and speak directly with consumers around the globe and in real-time. At our core, we’re a technology company with a mission to democratize the multi-billion dollar market research industry. Funded by Unilever Ventures and other private investors, we are bringing the traditional, long, and arduous process of conducting market research into the digital age through our online video conferencing platform. Today, Discuss.io is powering consumer connection and empathy programs at many of the world's leading brands, including Unilever, Godrej, Danone, Nestle, and SCA, among others.
As our first Engineering Manager in the United Kingdom , you will have the chance to define the role and grow with the company. You will have the support of a tight-knit group who are excited to expand our presence in the UK. The right candidate will be able to lead our team of three engineers based remotely in Poland, and hire front-end, mobile and site reliability engineers as we continue to expand our business. If you want experience building a country presence for a fast-growing startup backed by a recent Series A fundraising round then Discuss.io is the ideal opportunity. The right candidate will enjoy competitive compensation and a substantial equity stake.
- Own the design, development and test of compelling features on Discuss.io’s video-conferencing platform.
- Work with the Seattle program and product teams to deliver software to the company’s high standards of quality, deployability and automation.
- Communicate with team members and other developers on a technical level about their work.
- Ensure members of your team have what they need to succeed, from hardware to software to advice and/or assistance from other engineers.
- Mentor and coach your team members individually with the right balance of direction and support.
- Recruit and continue to grow our team by hiring folks who are smart, talented, and a pleasure to work with.
- 10+ years of experience writing code preferably in functional and OO, 3+ years managing developers, and a proven track record of shipping software.
- You could operate as your own self-contained startup, being equally comfortable shipping front-end code, back-end services or cloud infrastructure as code.
Who you are
- Passionate. You have a passion for building teams committed to teamwork technical excellence, shipping software designed to "just work."
- Relentlessly High Standards. You understand what it takes to write software for services that can scale orders of magnitude. You love writing things that are robust, scalable, and performs well. You thrill in your accomplishments but also know it's about doing and improving.
- A clear communicator. You are fluent in English and are able to clarify technical and product design questions easily.
- Leader. You have the drive and ability to get things done in an innovative and fast paced environment. You manage in order to support others to higher heights.
- A true team player. You enjoy collaborating, learning from and teaching others so we can all become better developers. You assume good intent in others, and actively do your part to make a positive work environment.
- You are a recruiter! Discuss.io is committed to expanding our presence in the UK and as our first manager in the country, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring onboard to help us continue to build our market-leading solution!
Why you should join us
We are a rapidly growing team of customer obsessed individuals. We place a lot of value in knowledge sharing, so being a team player is a must. We value work/life balance, efficiency, simplicity, innovation, and freakishly friendly customer service. We offer interesting and challenging problems to solve, independence, as well as opportunities to learn and grow. As a part of our team, you’ll be able to clearly see the impact of your work and have a voice in the decision making process. Join us!