Head of Application & Software Design
Head of Application and Software Design – Permanent – Liverpool
The Head of Application and Software Design will be responsible for the design, implementation and handover of all applications and software within YODEL, and will have hands on knowledge covering a wide range of technologies including Agile, Waterfall, Microservices architecture, mobile, data models, and infrastructure technologies.
As Head of Application and Software Design you will manage the application solution design team providing technical leadership and support of the Yodel IT estate, ensuring that YODEL has suitable technical solutions to achieve their objectives effectively, securely, and with a competitive and innovative edge compared with other organisations
Head of Application and Software Design responsibilities:
Provide direction, motivation and guidance to all team members for both IT and HR related issues.
Contribute and drive the IT strategy and assist with the research and development of new technologies.
Collaboratively drive both IT strategy and services provision, all of this is to be achieved within reasonable budget constraints.
Responsible and accountable for managing end to end application design including design and implementation documentation around the establishment of all new and changes to existing.
Holds accountability for every element of application, UX and software design and implementation at Yodel and will work closely with our Infrastructure Solution Design & Enterprise Architects.
Lead teams on projects drawn from SME's in the architecture group and technical delivery
Lead, manage, motivate and develop the Application and Software Solution Design Architecture team,
Key point of contact for business and customers during requirements capture phase in collaboration with business analysts
Full responsibility and accountability for the creation of application and software solution designs to solve specific customer problems
Responsible for liaising with other ‘subject matter experts’ where additional product knowledge is required
Responsible for articulating the technical solution to Service and Project Management colleagues ensuring that the solution design provides for a straight-forward deployment and may be readily managed on an on-going basis
Responsible for engaging the Enterprise Architecture function, to ensure architecture board design sign off
Management of Yodel IT Service Providers and Partners
Schedule, control, and manage delivery of Software and Application Solution Design, in a timely, cost effective, and efficient way, balancing the use of in-house and external resources appropriately
Work in a collaborative way with other senior staff to develop the IT vision and strategy and their translation into priorities and actions for the team and for others
Management of performance of systems and services in terms of their contribution to business performance and their financial costs
Head of Application and Software Design skills and experience:
- Demonstrated ability to apply technology solutions and methods to business problems
- Significant technical experience and comprehensive understanding of software and application design and delivery principles and architecture
- Experience with legacy and current software design and delivery
- Energy, drive, enthusiasm and ideas for improving business results
- Senior IT leadership experience in commercial including at least one IT management position
- A record of success in a project driven environment both agile and waterfall
- Proven track record in using development methodologies or recognised project management techniques to deliver successful IT designs
- Ability to combine strategic vision with the achievement of demonstrable results for the business as well as ensuring robust and secure systems
- Demonstrates a level of gravitas commensurate with a senior leadership role, while also being able to liaise effectively with staff at all levels
- Strong knowledge of SDLC processes