Make the most of your energy in a career at Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management and automation. With revenues of ~€27 billion in FY2015, our 144,000+ employees serve customers in over 100 countries, helping them to manage their energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. From the simplest of switches to complex operational systems, our technology, software and services improve the way our customers manage and automate their operations. Our connected technologies reshape industries, transform cities and enrich lives. At Schneider Electric, we call this Life Is On.
Help us deliver solutions that ensure Life Is On everywhere, for everyone and at every moment. We’re looking for people with a passion for success — on the job and beyond. See what our people have to say about working for Schneider Electric:
Schneider Electric has a great opportunity for the right person to join our team as a Protection Engineer.
To undertake protection and control scheme testing and commissioning on electrical power generation, distribution and transmission systems from 400V to 400kV in a manner that delivers safe, profitable, timely, high workmanship quality and fit for purpose networks for the customer and which promotes the company in a positive light at all times.
1. The commissioning of complex protection and control schemes on diverse LV and HV electrical network construction and modification projects. These projects may include protection and control schemes involving transformers, tapchangers, neutral earthing, switchgear, telecontrol and relay panel components in substations operating at up to 132KV or Power Stations operating up to 400kV.
2. Progress to "Authorised Person" status under the Customer's Safety Rules, allowing the individual to a) have independent access to substations containing live exposed conductors, b) to recieve a permit to work and c) to supervise a working party.
3. Lead and support Protection and Control Technicians and to execute duties in a professional manner to build team and customer confidence and thereby contributing to the promotion of Projects Business growth. First line problem solver.
4. Assist construction teams within the projects business in a technical support role with regard to understanding and buliding the elements associated with protection and control schemes.
5. To work within all set procedures and to ensure Health and Safety is the most important element in this regard. Adhere to the instructions of the site supervisor role in accordance with the CDM regulations as required - this may include witnessing of cold commissioning of free issue plant by Customer appointed contractors.
6. Undertake the tasks allocated to the post holder and those allocated to Protection and Control Tecnicians in their charge role in a diligent manner in pursuit of effective project delivery. Appraise direct reports regularly in order to develop them, increase thier skill range, knowledge base and performance in the process.
7. Basic commercial awareness. Provide feedback to site supervisors and/or project managers to identify additional works when compared with original testing and commissioning scope.
8. Keep safe and maintain all company property issued, ensure it is routinely PAT or calibration tested and bring to the company’s attention any items that are not of a serviceable nature in a timely manner.
9. Production of as built records, test results, test reports, updated drawings for projects in an accurate and timely fashion where the post holder is responsible for this task.
10. Assist senior protection and control staff in protection scheme design works as and when requested.
Suitable electrical qualification - HNC or degree in electrical or electronic engineering.
Experience of protection/control/telecontrol/SCADA systems in HV substation or power station environments.
Good theoretical and operational knowledge of electrical power distribution/generation protection and control systems - relay types, scheme types, testing procedures.
Experience of using Primary and Secondary test equipment.
PC literate - Word, Excel, Project
Site safety passport and/or experience of working on CDM sites - desirable
Diversity is our heritage and our future. Be a part of it.
At Schneider Electric, Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our organisation, it's an integral part of our history, culture and identity. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve. As a result, our teams are stronger to drive the company's future.
Please submit an online application to be considered for any position with us. This position will be posted until filled.
You know about us, so let us learn about you! Apply today.