The fundamentals of this role are to install, restore, repair, improve, maintain plant and equipment in order to achieve optimum performance, while working safely at all times. Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Maintenance Engineer is responsible for the completion of daily and weekly tasks in a timely manner, adopting an analytical approach to problem solving, identifying the root cause of failures, along with proposing appropriate corrective/sustaining actions.
Health, Safety & Environment
- To adhere to all safety policies and regulations, while working within a safe system of work, including Permit to Work, Personal Protection Equipment, Working at Height, Isolation, Risk Assessment etc.
- The adherence to all environmental policies and regulations.
- Conduct an "On the Job Risk Assessment" for tasks, and communicate any resulting recommendations for improvements.
- To challenge and report all unsafe actions and hazards.
- Take part in accident/incident investigations, helping to put in place solutions and corrective actions.
- The completion of maintenance job cards and BDA tasks, scheduled or unplanned, while understanding the Key Performance Indicators, and how they impact on plant performance on a daily and weekly basis.
- Maintain daily records of activities and follow all department procedures and systems.
- Where a problem occurs within the required activities or task, use own initiative to rectify the situation, where this cannot be done, notify the Chief Engineer.
- Installation of plant and associated services.
- Assist in the completion of the fault finding to determine the root cause of failures and identify sustaining actions to prevent re-occurrence. Complete BDA and 5Whys as required.
- Take an active role in Professional Maintenance projects as requested.
- Assist in the reduction of plant downtime.
- Driven by a culture of 'continuous improvement’, through the use of WCM problem solving tools and participation in WCM AM/PM/5S/5Why projects.
- Lead improvement projects when nominated.
- Recommend working solutions to production allowing them to meet the goals of the daily plan during breakdowns.
- Recommend and develop improvements to process, service regimes and spares stock holding
- Zero Lost Time Accidents (TF1) and Hospital Visits (TF2).
- 100% completion of individual daily/weekly activities - job cards and BDAs.
- Completion of On the Job Risk Assessments for all tasks not covered by an existing task procedure.
- Achievement of Incident / Hazard reporting targets
Education & Skills & Competencies
- Completion of an electrical maintenance/engineering apprenticeship.
- Mechanical / Electrical conversion
- Experience within an industrialised manufacturing environment would be advantageous
- Familiar with safety requirements e.g. Isolation and Permit’s to Work.
- Using and interpreting engineering data.
- Sound knowledge of hydraulic & pneumatic systems.
- Ability to read and fault find from Mechanical/Hydraulic/Pneumatic drawings.
- Ideally trained against the Electricity at Work Regulations.
- Good level of literacy essential for the role, and IT skills would be advantageous