A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve "Gold Standard" Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Our finance team are committed to providing an efficient and accurate service to our legal advisors and to other support functions. At the centre of this is ensuring that the client and office accounts are kept up to date and invoices are produced accurately and in a timely manner.
To supply an efficient and accurate cashiering service for the Legal Advisers and other support functions in the Birmingham office.
- To understand and ensure compliance with Solicitors’ Accounts Rules in relation to all tasks.
- To avoid any breaches.
- To ensure that client and office accounts are kept up to date accurately.
Handling client & office account funds
- To hand out client cheques to LA’s on a daily basis
- To ensure that the cheques received are banked on a daily basis.
- To understand and implement agreed procedure for reviewing and operating Bankline
- To reconcile out of date cheques regularly and to report into the Finance Manager.
- Sending all CHAPS/Faster payments daily within the specified time frames.
- To carry out any transfers ie client to client, matter to matter, client to bill, client to disbursement and disbursement to disbursements in accordance with Solicitors’ Accounts Rules.
- To ensure cheques are cancelled/stopped at the bank when required.
- To input all invoices from Couriers, Companies house etc. on the system and paid on a monthly basis.
- To understand the billing process and raise bills on a daily basis.
- To understand the process of credit notes/write offs/cancellations
- Ensure records are kept up to date on accounting system on both client and office transactions.
- To ensure work is handed out to the team from 'in tray’
- File bank statements daily
- Ensure that any problems arising are appropriately communicated to Finance manager and/or team and Legal Advisors.
- To help provide assistance to the Lead Cashier for when the Finance Manager is absent.
- To ensure all cash is counted on a weekly basis and banked the same day or next working day.
- To carry out archiving each day
- Additional hours required during peak times including month and year end
Skills and Qualifications
- Legal cashier experience within legal services
- Positive with can do attitude
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain high standards
- Organised with a neat and tidy approach to working practices
- A friendly and helpful approach
- Have a flexible approach to working practices
- Ability to work as part of a small team
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.