Job Specification: To operate and develop the catering service on a day to day basis to ensure that effective use is made of resources, and that our residents receive well prepared food suitable for their needs.
The Chef will be directly responsible for the preparation, cooking, portioning and presentation of meals to standards expected by the Home Manager.
Essential: Relevant experience in a catering environment
Basic Food Hygiene Certificate or Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
Advanced knowledge of handling and operation of equipment including knives
Good leadership skills
Experience in achieving food margins
Experience in systems compliance and delivering high standards
Understanding of special dietary and nutritional requirements, and appropriate methods of ensuring that these are met
Genuine interest in working within a caring environment
Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
Satisfactory DBS check
Basic understanding of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
Basic understanding of Infection Control
Full understanding and compliance with CQC guidelines as appropriat
- Meet and frequently exceed residents' expectations.
- Ensure all kitchen staff are treated respectfully and encouraged to work efficiently.
- Orders of food stock to be appropriate to resident numbers and not over ordered.
- Ensure all sub-standard food is returned with the appropriate paperwork and the supplier contacted.
- Ensure Head Chef and Home Manager are aware of all/any supplier issues
- Ensure all deliveries are checked and signed for by the Chef or Kitchen Assistant - where this is not possible a record must be placed onto the delivery note.
- Prepare food for service appropriate to resident needs and numbers
- Control wastage and record / report all wastage.
- Ensure that only nominated suppliers are used and that petty cash purchases are kept to a minimum if any.
- All invoices are kept safely to be processed weekly and accounted for by the Head Chef.
- Ensure the staff food policy is followed with no unauthorised food leaving the kitchen.
- Ensure that dishes are to specification and that portions are appropriate
- Keep within budgets allocated for ordering with the assistance of the Head Chef.
- Ensure all stock is secure with no loss of stock.
- Stock rotation to be followed and all store rooms/fridges and freezers are in order
- Monitor and control stock levels - daily weekly and monthly, ensuring there are no shortfalls.
- Cascade queries and issues relating to dishes, menus and suppliers to the head Chef and/or Home Manager.
- Be willing to resolve any issues at the time they are raised.
- Inspire and motivate the team to achieve food to specification and therefore ensure satisfaction of our residents
- Lead by example, setting the pace and standards.
- Meet monthly with the Deputy Manager to ensure that you are up to date with all current dietary needs of the residents.
- Assist with training and developing the kitchen assistants to deliver food to specification and therefore exceed residents' expectations.
- Praise and recognise good performance.
- To attend the Monthly Head of Department Meeting in the absence of the Head Chef to provide an overview of your department
- Deal with poor performance through informal reprimands and where necessary the company's disciplinary procedure - in conjunction with the Head Chef and Home Manager
- Be pro-active in problem solving.
- Work on own initiative to deal with problems and opportunities and cascade to the Head Chef and Home Manager where appropriate.
- Verbal communication is key to the Assistant Chef, especially during peak business times
- Communicate via team meetings, one to one meetings, training sessions, catering diary, notice boards and through written means.
- Communicate a vision of success, of which the team want to be part of.
- Manage the day to day food administration ensuring systems compliance.
- To organise directly and participate in special functions as required by the Head Chef and Home Manager.
Delivering Company Standards:
- Deliver the Company kitchen standards as identified on the kitchen audits.
- Implement and ensure the Company Health and Safety policy is met at all times - this includes the training of all kitchen staff.
- Comply and implement all Health and Safety and Food Hygiene requirements.
- Ensure all temperature records and food labelling are maintained and up to date.
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and hygienic, making sure cleaning rotas are adhered to and records kept.
- Ensure all food is served to specification.
- Ensure the kitchen uniform and personal hygiene requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure the kitchen runs smoothly on a daily basis and is adequately stocked with all necessary goods.
- Promote a positive perception of the company at all times both internally and externally.
- Attend company meetings as requested.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.