Specialist study skills tutor (SpLD) - Telford
Vacancy for a Specialist study skills tutor (SpLD).
Cosmic People are a registered provider of NMH (Non- Medical Helper) support to students with disabilities in Higher Education registered with DSA-QAG.
We have a vacancy for an experienced and qualified dyslexia specialist to work with students in the Telford area. You will work on a one to one basis supporting a student within a university setting or in their home in accordance with their DSA Assessment of Needs report, course requirements and learning preferences, as a Specialist Study Skills Tutor.
Please see below for some of the role specifications:-
As a specialist tutor you will provide one to one assistance to students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD), and will encourage students through developing strategies and facilitation, to take responsibility for their own learning. You will set clear standards and expectations for your sessions and the nature of the help you provide will be in line with the student learning preferences and will include: time management, organisation, reading and memory strategies, oral communication skills, planning and writing, amongst others. A good understanding of the relevant recommended AT to aid learners is also important.
The successful candidates will have:-
• A qualification in Dyslexia Tuition
• Experience supporting students on a one to one basis or experience with disability issues in HE
• Have excellent communication, time management and organisational skills
• A good knowledge of the English language
• Be able to work flexibly to support student’s needs
• Maintain professional boundaries and respect confidentiality.
• Adhere to Academic codes of practice.
• Be capable and confident and able to work on your own initiative
• Have problem solving skills, empathy, diplomacy and sensitivity
• Hold an enhanced DBS certificate covering adults (or be willing to apply for one)
• Be a member of one of the following professional bodies: ADSHE, PATOSS. BDA, The Dyslexia Guild
Start date: End of September 2017
Location: Telford Area
Role: Part time/ term time only.