Design Engineering Manager
Design Engineering Manager - West Midlands
Salary circa £55,000 depending on experience
An experienced Design Engineering Manager is required for an established SME Manufacturing business. As a manufacturer of high quality fabrications this company has experienced an increased demand for its products.
Reporting into the Managing Director, a major part of this role will involve a complete design review of products with a view to rationalisation and standardisation of designs across the board. In doing this you will create systems and procedures based on Design for Manufacturing & Assembly principles and parametric design concepts. This will be a challenging role that will require a strong technical background gained in the design of complex fabricated components utilising a range of metals including steel, stainless steel and aluminium.
To be considered for this Design Engineering Manager position you must have or be:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working as a Technical or Design Engineering Manager working in a high variety low to medium volume fabrication business within a busy Engineering office environment.
- A thorough understanding of design methods and principles and be familiar with design reviews, product standardisation and parametric design concepts utilising modern CAD systems such as SolidWorks.
- A track record that demonstrates an ability to reduce product lead times through improved design/CAD/CAM techniques.
- Ideally degree qualified or apprentice trained and educated to HNC level you will have a full understanding of BS8888 Geometrical Tolerancing and ISO standards.
- A clear commercial focus understanding the need to design and engineer right first time and put in place systems that prevent part, material and product proliferation.
- Provide technical leadership to the engineering team and support sales with technical issues and queries.
- A strong engineering or manufacturing background with a clear understanding of modern manufacturing tools and techniques and experience of contract management and ensuring key deliverables are established and met
- An ability to coach, train and educate employees in design engineering principles and modern manufacturing techniques at all levels will be required.
- Able to implement and control a robust and sustainable engineering change order request system that tackles root cause issues and prevents re-occurrence of similar problems.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and presentation, able to create understanding and a desire to change in the people you work with at all levels.
This is an interesting business with a growing order book and a real desire to succeed. Reporting directly to the Group Managing Director you will part of the Senior Management Team and have a real say in developing the Engineering Strategy for this progressive business.