RAIL HEALTH & SAFETY ADVISOR
Railfreight Health & Safety Advisor
"Excellent high profile HO strategic policy development and field based change, leadership and influencing opportunity for experienced Rail operations/Rail Freight Health & Safety professional"
Midlands Base with National Field Based Remit
C£35-40000 + Car + Bonus + Benefits
Commutable from Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Derby, Rugby, Stratford on Avon, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Warwick, Alcester, Sutton Coldfield, Redditch, Bromsgrove, Worcester, Stourbridge, Kidderminster, Lichfield, Tamworth, Northampton, Derby. Nottingham, Leicestershire
Our client is a major diversified industrial group specialising in the B2B sector. It is an iconic UK brand with an excellent and highly successful track record, and is undoubtedly regarded as a market leader. This is an excellent and high-profile opportunity for an experienced health and safety professional with experience of managing Rail Freight Operations or Rail Freight contracts or Rail Wagon providers. The ideal applicant will possess experience of negotiating with and managing rail freight operators and wagon providers from a health and safety perspective. This experience may have been gained from an in-house multinational, third party logistics or rail freight operator/supplier perspective. Our client will also consider applicants with Health & Safety experience gained within passenger rail operations.
Our client operates one of the largest rail operations and extensive networks in the UK. The Rail Health and Safety Advisor post is therefore a key role, providing rail safety leadership, guidance, training and advice for the business. The principal aim of the role is to support the business on its journey towards a world class rail safety culture and to achieve a Rail Excellence target of Zero Harm & Zero HIPO from rail operations. You will be responsible for all rail sites in the UK and will work closely with Regional and Site leadership, rail operations teams and major rail suppliers to ensure that the highest standards of operation are in place.
- To be the lead focus for ensuring all Rail standards are kept up to date, effectively communicated and incorporate the best practice of the rail industry.
- Be the lead contact for dealing with rail suppliers (freight operators / wagon leasors) on a company level with respect to health and safety and operational best practice.
- Lead the development and delivery of education programmes for site teams and suppliers on rail safety best practice.
- Provide support and guidance during Rail operational incidents.
- Ensure a close relationship with the wider Corporate Health & Safety teams.
- Developing and managing leading Rail safety KPIs
- Lead engagement with schools’ local to our client’s rail operations to educate the wider community about rail safety.
- Communicate key rail safety messages such as rail safety alerts.
- Design rail safety toolbox talks.
- Identifying best practice from other industries and applying it to rail within the organization.
- Sharing rail best practice with the wider business so that it can be adapted and implemented, where appropriate.
- Conduct Rail audits (internally & externally)
The Ideal Applicant:
The successful candidate will be of graduate calibre and currently working within a rail freight/rail operations health and safety role. You will possess the following qualifications - IOSH Managing Safely and NEBOSH. Understanding of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 and 9001. You will possess good operational experience in a rail freight/rail operation management environment. This will include significant experience of coaching and training of staff at all levels. Deep and recent knowledge of safety and training legislation, working time regulations and the legalities of running a rail freight/rail operation are prerequisites. You will possess excellent people management, relationship building, persuasion and influencing and project management skills. In-depth knowledge of rail freight operations would be highly advantageous. Strong analytical skills and reporting of KPI’s and competency in root cause analysis will be critical to success. Excellent presentation skills in order to deliver coaching and training are paramount. You will be a high energy, resilient, assertive and enthusiastic individual. Career prospects are excellent.