Graduate/Chemist - Birmingham
Hours: 37 hours per week
Reporting to: Laboratory Operations Manager
We are currently recruiting an Inorganic Chemist to join our Laboratory team at The Assay Office Birmingham, on a full-time, permanent basis.
The requirement is to handle a large number of samples which may range from jewellery, toys, accessories right through to various types of precious and non-precious metals/ material, but this is not exhaustive.
The successful candidate must have experience using analytical techniques and instrumentation such as ICP. Cupellation/ Scorification knowledge would be an advantage. As would interpreting and checking data and reporting scientific results, assisting Senior Chemists/Technical Director in developing new analytical techniques for the analysis of precious and non-precious metals, including powders and catalysts.
Excellent communication skills are required when liaising with Customers / Trading Standards authorities on technical, ‘due diligence’ and testing issues.
- We require a good team worker, with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who has the flexibility to work when called upon and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- The applicant needs to be skilled and possess both excellent laboratory practice and theoretical knowledge
- IT skills are essential as more analytical work is now undertaken using various IT systems
- Adhere to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data.
- Good attention to detail when checking date and reporting scientific results, as well as balancing and recording the weight of samples.
- Good communication skills when liaising with customers, staff and suppliers.
- Ability to work in a fast moving environment and to challenging, tight deadlines. Routine analysis can involve doing the same job for long periods of time.
- Must be aware of and keep up to date with Health and Safety issues in all aspects of the work undertaken.
Must have experience in ICP and working in a Laboratory environment. Qualifications minimal of a Chemistry degree.
The working hours are 37 hours a week.
Working outside normal hours may be necessary, depending upon the workload and sample schedule.
Health and Safety
All employees of the Birmingham Assay Office, have a duty of care for their own health and safety as well as that of colleagues. Any specific concerns or queries relating to health and safety within our workplace must be discussed with the immediate supervisor/manager, in the first instance.
Our Values: We aim to be the best!
Our Values are part of our DNA. They guide the way we work and behave with each other, our suppliers and our customers. Our values are; Passionate, Leaders, Accountable, Integrity and Teamwork. Through these values we can create a culture where ideas can blossom, people can thrive and contribute and success can flourish. At every opportunity, our behaviour will demonstrate a pride in our brands and heritage, a desire to consistently meet or exceed or customers’ expectations and to promote and fiercely protect our reputation.
To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button.