Ramp Operative/ Baggage Handler
Ramp Operative/ Baggage Handler Birmingham Airport
Minimum 30 hour contract
GBP7.87 per hour
To provide the necessary under-wing ground support services to aircraft as required by our customer airlines. This includes (but not be limited) to the loading and unloading of baggage and cargo and mail, sorting and transporting baggage to and from the aircraft and the operation of specialist ground servicing equipment.
You will commence the role as a Grade 1 Agent Level 1, after successful completion of 12 months service subject to passing the probationary period and demonstrating competence in all basic and intermediate tasks, you will become a Grade 2 employee. Following a further period of development and subject to job vacancies arising you will have the opportunity to apply for other positions /promotion.
The following responsibilities are associated with this job role:
- Unload passenger luggage and air cargo, bulk and/or containers/pallets, onto carts and/or dollies
- Deliver passenger luggage to claim area and unload onto conveyor system
- Deliver air cargo to appropriate recipient
- Load/unload wheelchairs and child strollers and deliver to designated location
- Provide special handling of luggage/cargo as required/directed
- Placement of chocks and cones around the aircraft
- Drive and/or operate ground support equipment which may include baggage tugs, baggage carts, aircraft steps, belt loaders, aircraft ground power units, tow bars, container loaders, water/lavatory service trucks, aircraft de-icing units, cargo dollies and passenger vans.
- Collect and load live animals and dangerous goods on onto aircraft
- Report all equipment malfunctions to the appropriate supervisor/manager
- Comply with all UK/Ireland/EU legislation as well as airport authority and carrier security requirements
- Comply with Swissport Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Maintain the highest standards of safety and security at all times
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Competencies
- Flexible to work on various shifts (days, evening, nights, weekends, and holidays)
- Ability to speak and understand the English language
- Ability to travel to the airport at times where public transport is not available
- Ability to follow processes and procedures and apply flexible approach when required
- Willingness to work in inclement weather
- Able to work in a manual environment and repeatedly lift up to 32kg throughout a shift.
- Able to work as part of a team in a challenging environment
- A full driving licence
- Previous experience working in an aviation environment is desired
- Ability to speak additional languages is desired
5 year work History is a VERY IMPORTANT aspect of your online registration so please ensure accuracy is maintained as the success of your application will be based on the information you provide.
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy please register your details on our website () and we will call you!