Head of Estates
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Estates to lead our growing team in Nuneaton (CV10 7RH)
Your role will be to lead the estates team consisting of two Estates Surveyors, two Senior Estates Surveyors, a Senior/Management Surveyor and a Building Surveyor. You will report to the Director of Legal Services (Executive Board).
- Responsible for the day to day running of all European stores (Benilux) currently 200+ stores and ensure they are being managed efficiently via the Amsterdam based estates manager. The estates manager deals with all rent and management issues accordingly, travel to Amsterdam will be required.
- Dealing with the disposals pipeline for UK/ROI trading and non-trading stores, via external agents where necessary in a timely manner in relation to loss making or store re-locations.
- UK/ROI Service Charges and Business Rates challenges are outsourced. You will be responsible for and overseeing all aspects of these contracts, including re-tendering when necessary and managing their performance on a regular basis. You will hold regular update meetings and provide regular internal updates to your line manager.
- Development of the estates team at all levels, ensuring day to day targets are met and colleague retention levels are as low as possible. Undertaking regular team meetings and 1:1 meetings if required, ensuring the team are content and motivated.
- Maintain professional relationships with peers in the industry to ensure best results for the business.
- Build effective relationships with internal colleagues in the necessary departments both at the support centre with the senior management team, and also in the field, from store manager level, up to the Retail Operations Director.
- Sole responsibility for the trading and non-trading UK/ROI estates and the estates team, whom under your direction will;
- Ensure the ability to trade the retail premises within their patch via effective asset and property management. Undertake monthly management meetings. To discuss day to day and key ongoing issues within the estate.
- Research and prepare the annual rental budgets under your direction on a store by store basis in conjunction with the other surveyors.
- Ensure the team deals with rent reviews, lease renewals and lease re-gears in a timely manner, preparing board papers with the appropriate recommendations which you will present to the board of directors on a weekly basis. You will also provide pipeline forecasts on an annual basis to the board in relation to all ongoing and future transactions.
- Ensuring the surveyors manage the various external consultants in relation to third-party submissions ensuring the best result for the business, and implementation a fair fee basis across the various consultants.
- Assessing and approving service charge and rating appeal reports prepared by external consultants received from the estates team in their respective regions.
- Ensure that the Residential and Commercial sublet portfolio is being managed efficiently and that legal obligations are being met. Liaise with finance to ensure rent payments are up to date and on time.
- Ensure the estate database is up-to-date and accurate at all times.
- Ensure the correct processes are being implemented at all times personally and within the wider estates team.
- Ensure regular communications with finance ensure that the rent, rates and service charge are paid on time and at the correct value. To liaise with finance to ensure the provisions schedules are up to date and accurate.
- To ensure that the Asbestos Register is up to date and that the annual inspections are being undertaken on time and any rectification needed is completed within the required timescales and legally compliant.
- Ensuring Interim and terminal schedules of dilapidations are logged and dealt with in a timely manner, ensuring store closure deadlines are met in relation to breaks and expiries, with successful handovers back to Landlords. Ensure tenant break requirements are met.
- Ensure large management issues and third party insurance claims are dealt with in a timely manner by the management and/or building surveyor and ensure the business is kept up to date at all stages.
The ideal candidate will ideally be a member of the RICS with at least 10 years post qualified experience. Client side experience preferred but not essential.
The estates team at Holland & Barrett is a fast paced environment where we encourage and support each other working as a team. We work hard and celebrate success in equal measure.
For the right candidate there is a competitive package (dependent on experience) including an annual bonus, car allowance, 25% store discount, generous annual leave entitlement, on-site gym, subsidised canteen, subsidised nursery (coming soon) and free on site car parking. There is opportunity for remote working as the need arises, after-all work life balance is important to us all.