Solicitor - Regulatory Compliance and Investigations - Birmingham
Main function of job
You will be providing excellent and commercial regulatory advice both in the context of crisis management, litigation and in terms of supporting clients in non-contentious matters..
To deliver expertise within area of specialty, contributing actively to practice area targets and assessing risk as appropriate. To coach and delegate as required and manage client expectations to ensure high levels of service delivery both internally and externally.
- Provide a high quality service to clients in a commercial and professional manner managing a caseload of predominantly complex and/or high value cases, with assistance from more junior fee earners.
- Maintain an understanding of the latest developments in H&S and wider regulatory law and to regularly seek to update skills in addition to and outside of the CPD process, sharing learning across the team;
- Be accountable for individual and team financial management ensuring a pro-active approach is taken to meeting individual and team targets;
- Raise individual profile and that of DWF LLP through coverage in the legal press and DWF promotional material, assisting to maximise own revenue with existing clients through the introduction of clients to other practice areas/groups where applicable;
- Play a proactive role in business development including writing articles, delivering presentations and facilitating seminars;
- Support others to perform to their potential, delegating work, providing technical and strategic advice to more junior fee earners, supervising cases and giving relevant guidance to support the development and progression of others as appropriate;
- Look outside of the Firm for new ways of working and seek to continually challenge and improve internal working practices through the professional application of skills and knowledge;
- Develop strong internal and external working relationships based on trust and respect, ensuring there is regular communication within the practice area/group and with the external clients;
- Understand the relevant marketplace and identify what opportunities and risks exist and how DWF can exploit or prepare for them;
- Maintain visibility and accessibility across the team and manage client relationships during the delivery of a high quality service.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
- Qualified lawyer with high level of H&S technical expertise and an ability to apply it in a commercial and professional way achieving good results on large/complex cases.
- Ideally the successful candidate will also have expertise in at least one wider area of regulatory law (e.g. environmental, financial crime, professional disciplinary, product liability, transport, safeguarding, health / care quality).
- Able to develop the business in terms of both existing and new clients.
- Proven track record of working in an environment with a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- Effective team player with collaborative and supportive approach.
- Proactive in developing own expertise and skills and in sharing learning with others.
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
There has never been a more exciting time to be a regulatory lawyer. The Sentencing Guidelines mean that the focus on safety, food safety and environmental issues has never been greater and compliance has never been more important.
The Regulatory Compliance and Investigations team is looking for 3 - 5 PQE lawyer to join the Birmingham team but support the national team across the range of the team's cases.
The national team is led by Steffan Groch (Chair of Health and Safety Lawyers Association) and deals with nationally high profile and technically challenging cases. The team has acted on a number of influential reported cases including clarifying the law in terms of how to interpret the legal concept of risk. The team is recognised as a leading specialist in the defence of corporate manslaughter. In addition to its core H&S expertise the team also supports clients on a broad range of regulatory matters including Fire Safety, Road Transport, Product Liability, Health/Social Care and Environmental (amongst others). Any experience of these areas would be beneficial.
The national team has coverage across the UK and handles the largest Health and Safety cases for the largest clients, regularly advising following major incidents, fatalities and/or very serious injuries which have a high profile in the media nationally. We act for clients in both contentious and non-contentious regulatory work; you will play a supporting role in those cases.
The majority of this work is litigation or pre-litigation based and so the ability to provide clear and timely advice is vital. Accordingly, you will have strong health and safety defence experience and be equally comfortable providing non-contentious advice.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Sam Houghton on email@example.com.
Note to recruitment agencies: We operate a strict preferred supplier list and we will only accept CV's from agencies who we have agreed terms with and who we have instructed to assist us with this recruitment. All introductions should be made direct to the Talent Acquisition team and we will not pay a fee for any CV's sent to our business outside of this process.
Policies and procedures
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles/ to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.