Job Title: Private Banker
Corporate Grade: Director
Primary Location: Birmingham
Barclays is a major global financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, and wealth and investment management. With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
As a leading global wealth and investment manager, Barclays provides international and private banking, wealth planning, trust and fiduciary services, investment management, brokerage services and research to private and intermediary clients across the world. Additionally our clients benefit from access to the breadth of personal, corporate and investment banking expertise across Barclays, one of the largest financial services groups in the world.
Our mission is to set a new standard in wealth management by understanding our clients better than anyone else. In pursuit of this objective, we hire and develop only the best people in the industry. We look for talented, tenacious individuals who seek opportunities for self-improvement and career progression. Our long-term agenda can only be achieved through close collaboration and a shared sense of empathy, integrity and trust.
At Barclays, we recruit based on merit and are committed to promoting diversity throughout our organisation.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds."
Overall purpose of role
The UK Private Banking team offers bespoke banking and investment solutions to high net worth clients working specifically within the UK. Barclays Private Bankers act as trusted advisors to clients providing bespoke banking services, lending and wealth structuring, in addition to a world class range of investment solutions and products across all asset classes.
Highly self directed assist in setting and achieving personal and achieving team targets for:
- new clients
Maintain the highest levels of client service and delivery
Be recognised as an expert and influential contact for banking products, credit advice and client queries
Be recognised as an expert and influential interface between the client and other parts of the Barclays group
- Wealth Advisory
- Discretionary Portfolio Management
- Investment Advisory
- Wider/cross Group (IB/Corp etc)
- Legal and compliance
- Senior management & Executive
Provide the client with world class financial solutions
Be able and willing to discuss markets, their issues and opportunities with clients
Fully utilise the banker toolset and systems platforms and challenge current standards to continuously improve quality.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
Dir Private Bankers are expected to be skilled business developers, adept at identifying and developing new business opportunities that will then see them initiating, building and maintaining effective introductory relationships with key internal and external stakeholders (Corporate & Business Banking RDs, Premier RMs and Retail colleagues as well as external KBIs) in order to ensure effective opportunity streams for new clients, assets and revenues. They would be expected to engage and direct others within their team/UKPB in this activity. In order to achieve this they must be highly skilled in engaging and influencing others to create and grow effective partnerships across the entire organisation, and externally, to drive performance. They would be expected to be accountable for specific partnerships and relationships, possibly at national level. The Dir Private Banker may be expected to work within a banker cell or on their own, so they must be an exemplary team player capable of galvanising and leading a team from within as well as being a highly self motivated, independent self starter who needs the minimum of supervision. The Dir Private Banker is expected to have a highly developed and extended sphere of influence that extends well beyond their own team in making a positive impact to the wider UKPB business, this network should extend not only across the Barclays group, but externally too.
The Dir Private Banker is might have direct leadership accountability for others, and so must be capable of leading and managing other people, and be able to take accountability for collective performance as well as their own. Even without direct reporting accountability the Dir Private banker must be highly skilled in directing the work of others/influencing/working collaboratively (within a cell, their own team, the wider UKPB and beyond) in order to secure positive outcomes for clients and for the business. They must also be capable of taking accountability for this collective effort and giving it direction.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
The Dir Private Banker is expected to have exemplary technical knowledge and to be expert in applying analytical reasoning and judgement to solve highly complex problems in order to deliver the highest levels of client advice and service. They must be skilled in directing, employing and managing appropriate resources to drive continuous improvement and innovation. They must also be skilled in directing and managing (formally or informally) others involved in complex processes to ensure ultimate successful delivery. The Dir Private banker must be expert in making informed transparent decisions, considering the broader/longer term implications for the benefit of client and business. They must also be capable of engaging, directing and managing others in this decision making process and the execution of any solution, gaining consensus and agreement and managing collective work to successful conclusion.
The Dir Private banker is expected to be an exemplary leader in encouraging their peers and team members to question established processes and suggest areas for improvement. They should seek inspiration internally and externally to identify areas for improvement and innovation. The Dir Private Banker should actively lead their peers in the business in championing continuous improvement, enabling breakthrough innovations as well as incremental improvements. They should also have practical approach and lead their team/the wider UKPB in converting ideas into pragmatic and viable solutions that uphold ethical values.
The Dir Private banker will always take ownership for issues that impact clients, leading others to resolve them and proactively seeking opportunities to lead in develop business improvement (eg; central programmes, initiatives and projects etc) with the objective of identifying issues, solving problems and enabling breakthrough innovations as well as incremental improvements to the business and our client service.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
This includes but is not limited to:
- Ensuring conformity with global and market standards of client service
- Ensuring conformity with all Barclays terms and conditions
- Ensuring conformity with global and market conditions on AML and KYC.
- Ensuring conformity with global and market conditions on product delivery
- Ensure that sales and business practices are within the regulatory framework
- Ensure that you are up to date with latest regulatory standards on market education/training
- Ensure that you are up to date with latest regulatory standards on suitability, capital adequacy and record keeping.
- The ideal candidate will have strong relationship skills with experience of managing and handling the sophisticated needs of individuals and families. The right candidate will be effective in gaining an in-depth understanding of client's needs and advising on a diverse range of wealth management solutions.
- The ideal candidate will deliver high quality bespoke advice, maximising value for our clients and negotiate the best commercial outcome.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in controlling and monitoring of risk within a client book.
- The ideal candidate will have broad experience of the Financial Services industry having spent a minimum of 5 years in the industry, particularly in the areas of Retail regulated products and services to mass market and high net worth customers, ultra high net worth customers and asset management.
- The ideal candidate will maintain a full, up to date understanding of the general financial markets dynamics and current financial concepts.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent market exposure and multi-disciplined private banking expertise.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent business development and cold calling skills.
- The ideal candidate will have good management skills and experience of influencing others through direct or indirect management
- The ideal candidate will have experience of stakeholder management/matrix management
- The ideal candidate will have experience of mentoring and/or managing small teams
Academic and professional qualifications
- The successful candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent.
- The ideal candidate will be RDR level four (min)/ six (desired) compliant.
The successful candidate will be fluent in English.
- The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit but also have a collegiate approach.
- The ideal candidate will embrace a challenge and an evolving/changing environment.
- The ideal candidate will display a constructive approach with the ability to relate to and accommodate a diverse range of personalities.
This is a Regulated Role
This role is deemed as a Certified role under the PRA & FCA - Individual Accountabilities Regulations and will require the role holder to hold mandatory regulatory qualifications or the minimum qualifications to meet internal company benchmarks.