Landscape Design Specialist
As a Landscape Design Specialist at HS2 you will manage the integration of the project from a landscape design point of view and to provide qualitative assurance and verification on key design issues along the HS2 route.
About the role:
- Oversee the design development and delivery of soft and hard landscape areas (including public realm) across HS2;
- Develop and maintain an active and close working relationship with HS2 Ltd's delivery teams and the D&B contractors in order to ensure that Landscape Design requirements are fully understood and delivered throughout the HS2 programme;
- Oversee the development of the Hybrid Bill design (Phase 2) from a Landscape Design point of view and provide detail advice as well as technical input into the Environmental Impact Assessment work;
- Coach, up-skill and influence colleagues from across the organisation to ensure that landscape design issues are a key consideration in project decision making and management processes;
- Scope, tender and actively manage design tasks and related activities undertaken by project service consultants, such as design development work, studies, research and progress meetings;
- Promote the HS2 Design Vision and the principles that are contained within the HS2 Landscape Design Approach document;
- Carry out a critical review of all key design deliverables that impact on the quality and visual integration of the landscape and challenge design decisions that are not in line with the HS2 Landscape Design Approach;
- Manage the Landscape Design activities that relate to the work of the HS2 Independent Design Panel;
- Provide regular updates to the Lead Landscape Designer (line manager) and assist in the leadership for all matters related to Landscape Architecture;
- Continue to develop professionally, maintaining technical competencies and identifying opportunities for learning new skills in order to meet work objectives more effectively;
- Broad ranging skills in the design of soft and hard landscape areas;
- Effective ability to manage landscape design activities of medium to large scale projects;
- Working alongside other design and technical specialists to develop appropriate and cost balanced and high quality design solutions;
- Effective ability to lead and manage multiple consultants;
- Effective communication, influencing and stakeholder management skills;
- Self-starter who has the ability to work alone and to manage complex tasks from start to finish;
- Ability to work as part of a diverse and highly skilled team;
- Understanding of cost delivery, schedule targets and the need to deliver an integrated, high quality solution that meets all design and functional requirements.
- Degree in Landscape Architecture or similar;
- Chartered Member of the Landscape Institute or working towards;
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
- Experience on leading medium to large landscape design projects (including public realm schemes) from inception through to completion;
- Experience of working collaboratively with engineers, construction experts, architects and environmental specialists to achieve an integrated design that is recognised by the landscape profession as best in class;
- Experience in site supervision of medium to large landscape construction projects;
- Experience in developing pragmatic analysis and strategies.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.