Consultant - MS SQL Server
Computacenter is Europe's leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services and solutions. In our Consultancy Practice division, we set clear expectations, take a straightforward and pragmatic approach, and are honest with our customers throughout. If you're a Consultant - Microsoft SQL Server who delivers solutions rather than talks about them, we're ready to welcome you to the team. This is a flexible UK base location role, and will require extensive regular UK wide travel - mainly from South East up to the Midlands.
As a FTSE 250 PLC, we are rooted in core European countries, Computacenter combines global reach with local expertise. We operate Infrastructure Operations Centres and Group Service Desks across Europe, South Africa and Asia from which our employees provide user support in 18 languages. Customers with global requirements are served through an extensive international partner network, which mirrors the requirements of our European-headquartered client base.
The Consultancy Practice, comprises of around 230 experienced consultants. Their expertise covers a wide range of technology areas and advisory services that supports the delivery of Computacenter's propositions. The consultants are industry recognised as experts in their field, having attained some of the highest vendor qualifications. The consultants are organised into ten focussed teams, covering Networking & Security, Unified Communications & Collaboration, Physical Workplace, Virtual Workplace, Directory, Messaging & Mobility, Enterprise Platforms, Data Optimisation, Cloud, Virtualisation & Automation, Integrated Systems & Implementation and Solutions Architecture. Each team has a Technology Leader and a Resource Manager who lead and manage the consultants.
The Consultancy Practice Mission is: To be recognised by our customers, partners and peers as the market leader for IT infrastructure consultancy services in terms of capability, results and the professional development of our people .
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an experienced Consultant to join our dynamic and rapidly expanding Consultancy Practice within Computacenter, with a strong focus on MS SQL Server. The role can be based from any of our offices and will involve regular UK wide travel. The Consultant will assist with SQL Server infrastructure delivery and support our pre-sales initiatives to our customers.
The role requires in depth enterprise technical expertise in MS SQL Server technology (multiple editions and versions), in standalone, virtualised and clustered, cloud and on premise environments) as demonstrated by experience in supporting or consulting on the product.
- Solution Design
- Design and configuration of SQL Server enterprise solutions with focus on all complex aspects of enterprise.
- Designing solutions with knowledge of surrounding IT infrastructure components.
- Designing again cross-sector industry standards, especially with knowledge and experience in the financial, public and commercial/retail sector.
- Designing robust implementation and migration solutions;
- Proven track record of strong documentation skills
- Articulate High-Level and Detail design principles
- Design architectural overviews using standard bespoke toolsets
- Knowledge and experience in SQL Server cloud aspects - predominately in Azure
- SQL performance tuning and health check
- Proven troubleshooting skills
- Scalability planning
- SQL Server maintenance and operations
In addition, the candidate will need experience in conducting technical performance and scalability reviews, SQL design reviews, etc.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have:
- Knowledge and experience in a secondary enterprise database technology such as Oracle, Sybase, NoSQL
- Knowledge and experience of cloud technology such as Microsoft Azure (preferred) or Amazon AWS and SQL Server Database IaaS, DBaaS
- Knowledge of legacy SQL Server versions (2000, 2005, 20008, 2008 R2) with focus on migration
- Knowledge and experience of data ingestion, ETL/ELT processes and tools
- A good knowledge of the SQL Server Business Intelligence stack SQL Server Analysis Services (Including Migration from AS 2000, Modification of cubes, dimensions and measures and Development of custom processing tasks in SSIS )
- Integration Services and Reporting Services
- A broad awareness of storage (including replication), networking and server technologies (including virtualisation)
- Demonstrated ability to present formal training to a number of delegates and/or published technical SQL articles in any format (blog, white paper, internal training documentation etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to engage in IT discussions related to availability, agility, business value, security management, High-Availability and Disaster Recovery, data protection.
- Fluent in T-SQL
Microsoft certifications in SQL Server 2012/2014 or above are required.
Competitive Salary + Car + Benefits
Flexible UK base location: can be based from London, Hatfield, Milton Keynes, and the Midlands.
Extensive regular UK wide travel
About the Company
Our partnerships and accreditations
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner across several solution areas:
- Advanced Infrastructure Solutions
- Information Worker Solutions
- Network Infrastructure Solutions
- Business Process & Integration OEM hardware
- Data Management Solutions
- Mobility Solutions
- Security Solutions
- Licensing Solutions
- Training Partner
- Software Asset Management
- Microsoft Certified Support Centre (MCSC)
- Large Account Reseller
- Microsoft Enterprise Software Advisor
- Quest Platinum Partner
- Symantec Platinum Partner and most accredited Symantec Master Specialist in Europe
We advise customers on their IT strategy; implement the most appropriate technology from a wide range of leading vendors and manage their technology infrastructures on their behalf. At every stage we make our customers' businesses sharper by removing cost, complexity and barriers to change across their IT infrastructures.
Our corporate and government clients are served by offices across the UK, Germany, France, the Benelux countries, Spain and South Africa. We also serve our customers' global requirements through our extensive partner network.
Key facts about Computacenter
Computacenter is Europe's leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services & solutions
- Our focus is on corporate and government organisations, typically of from 500 to 10,000 employees, and large enterprises of 10,000 or more employees.
- Almost 15,000 staff employed across the Group. 2015 adjusted profit before tax was £86.9 million. Revenues were £3.05 billion
- Over 70% of Computacenter's Group revenue comes from services, software, and sales of enterprise products such as servers and connectivity/networking technology
Achieve great things - for yourself, our customers and our business
At Computacenter we win together by making sure all our people have the autonomy to get things done and to find excellent solutions for our customers.