Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Umbrella rate at £17.00 an hour
Working on behalf of a Local Authority, Aatom Recruitment has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Assistant Quantity Surveyor role on a 3 month contract with a possibility of an extension. They would like someone who has the experience and knowledge in the following:
Purpose of the role -
To assist in the provision of a quantity surveying service in the Building Services Division, in relation to construction, term maintenance, services and supply contracts - in a manner which accords with accepted professional practices and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities -
Budget Estimating & Control
- Maintain knowledge of cost levels and economic trends to assist in the maintenance of a comprehensive cost library.
- Assist in the provision of full budget estimates and a detailed cost planning service.
- Assist in discussions with the design team regarding possible changes to the scope and scale of proposed work and the adjustment of budget estimates and cash flow forecasts in the light of these discussions.
- In accordance with the agreed programmes, Council Policy and Standing Orders and UK and European Practices and the appropriate standard method of measurement; and utilising both manual and computer processes; assist in the preparation for tendering purposes of all necessary documentation required - including detailed descriptions of the scope and extent of projects, specification of workmanship and materials to be employed; and Bills of Quantities.
- Liaise with and assist in co-ordination of information obtained from Architects, other Technical Officers, Structural Engineers and other Consultants regarding the production of tender documentation, to assist in ensuring that any discrepancies in information are resolved, and that timescales are observed to enable pre-contract deadlines to be met.
- Assist with the response to queries received from tenderers on tender documentation, liaising as appropriate with the Partnership Manager as necessary to resolve queries and problems. Instruct tenderers accordingly via the Procurement Section.
- Acting in accordance with the Council's Standing Orders and the Code of Practice for Selective Tendering, assist in the provision of a full tender evaluation service where required including advice to and liaison with the Procurement Section in the event of errors in tenders being identified.
Post Contract Surveying
- Attend pre-contract and subsequent site meetings with Third Party Contractors and Statutory Undertakings. Arrange programmes of work for the financial management of projects.
- Prepare detailed site measures and priced accounts for inclusion within Final Accounts for Audit inspection, all in accordance with accepted methods of measurement.
- Assist in the preparation of regular interim valuations for contracts in progress, submit for payment, and maintain records of all valuations. Maintain financial control of contracts and provide detailed cost reports as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation of final accounts for contracts, submit for audit inspection and respond to any queries arising there from.
- Maintain project file and provide records of instructions, cash flow forecasts and progress reports.
- Assist in the provision of information for the determination of liquidated and ascertained damages.
- Maintain an awareness of construction methods and technology; standard methods of measurement and forms of building contracts; and Health and Safety requirements.
- The Postholder is expected to operate in tenanted properties, and properties which may be unpleasant.
- The Postholder may be required to operate in potentially hazardous conditions or requested to work at extreme heights.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience -
- Preferably proven practical experience in a Quantity Surveying capacity.
- Awareness and experience of construction methods, technology, standard forms of measurement and forms of building contract; and Health and Safety requirements
- Candidate needs to have Quantity Surveying experience. Preparing and paying valuations submitted from contractors. Assisting in procurement of contracts. Must also be good with ICT programs especially Microsoft Office packages including Excel.
Qualifications / Training
- Good standard of education 2 x 'A' Level passes Grade 'C' and above or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Studying for HNC to lead onto the BSc in Quantity Surveying or equivalent qualification.
- Willing and keen to undertake qualifications applicable to the career development programme.
- Ability to develop further skills and acquire further knowledge and understanding.
- Effectively communicate at all levels and produce clear verbal and written reports on all aspects of contract progress; e.g. on financial, contractual conditions, and Health and Safety matters.
- Adopt a clear, assertive yet sympathetic approach to tenants.
- Work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Work within an established team.
- Ability to work on own initiative in accordance with pre-determined guidelines.
- Adopt a methodical approach to work.
- Work with all representatives of the department, other Council Departments and other agencies.