I am recruiting a Category Buyer role for a global business based in Birmingham. It is a permanent opportunity paying up to £35,000 per annum.
SAP + Mandarin or Cantonese speaking would be advantageous but not essential.
Providing support to the Category Managers/Department with any project or reporting work that arises, ensuring all timescales are met and work is done to the required standard.
Researching the market and supply base at sub-category level and keeping records of the information gathered. Keeping up to date with any relevant legislation or global developments.
- Quickbase - Completing V3 enquiries, new product creation, price file maintenance, product ordering system
- SAP - Maintain info records, maintain source lists, maintain supplier records
- Account support - Be the first point of contact for the account support functions (NAM's, ASE's, CSE's)
- Reports - Generate and maintain departmental and category specific reports e.g. Category spend/margin, Raw Material tracking
- Meetings - Attend supplier meetings, prepare pre-meeting reports with KPI trackers and take and file minutes
- New suppliers - Research, assess and make initial contact with potential new suppliers, updating the supplier intelligence matrix
- Samples - Organise and label supplier samples rotating new/obsolete to make sure storage is available at all times
- Sub Category Management - Take ownership of a sub-category, producing a cost saving plan and undertaking tender activity
- Market research - Gather market data to be included in the category plans
- Projects - Provide support with any category or departmental project work
- Tenders - Provide the necessary support with tenders to ensure they are delivered on time and in line with the agreed strategy
- Assist stock control - Provide first line support to stock control with any out of stock issues
- Cost savings and rebates - Help the category/department meet cost saving/rebate targets at any opportunity
- Microsoft Office skills - Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint
- Telephone skills
- Negotiation skills
- Good level of numeracy
- Prioritisation abilities
- Ability to self-manage
- Two years' minimum in a purchasing/buying role dealing directly with overseas suppliers
This is a fast paced environment and attention to detail is paramount, as is the ability to communicate with people internally and externally on all levels.
Strong negotiation is required and ideal candidates should be able to demonstrate cost savings in previous roles.