ROAD TRANSPORT HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISOR
ROAD TRANSPORT HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISOR- Multi-site Logistics and Transport in Heavy Industry
"Fantastic career development opportunity for road transport/logistics health and safety specialist"
Salary: c£35-40000 + Car + Bonus
Location: National, Field Based Remit, Flexible Location
They require a Road Transport Health and Safety Advisor for one of their largest divisions which operates a national multi site transport and logistics network which utilises a mixture of inhouse and specialist bulk third-party contract hauliers including regional owner drivers.
The division is involved in heavy industrial processing and manufacturing and the focus is on road transport and haulage operations from processing and production sites located nationally. You will be a specialist in road transport health and safety and will work as part of a large corporate health and safety function. You will have a demonstrable track record of making a positive difference to health and safety culture within the division and as part of the wider organisation. You will therefore possess excellent influencing and stakeholder engagement skills and the ability to positively challenge for continuous improvement of health and safety standards.
This is a key transport safety leadership role providing guidance, training and advice for the division. You will therefore work closely with regional management in processing and production, their teams and also transport management teams and key equipment suppliers to ensure that the highest standards of operational health and safety are in place. You will lead the development and delivery of best practice health and safety education programmes for site teams and third-party haulage suppliers. You will also support and guide transport operations colleagues in relation to incidents and investigations.
The role will support line management in their management of safety and health, as well as the development of an effective Health and Safety culture through coaching and influencing of line/depot management ensuring compliance with corporate and site management health and safety and other systems.
You will promote a high quality and consistent approach to health and safety amongst employees, contractors and hauliers through coaching, briefings, training, raising awareness, challenging, identifying themes and establishing strategies and leading by example. You will be responsible for providing specialist and expert advice on both safety and health issues, helping the business to manage the H&S management system, maintaining ISO18001 certification and supporting line management with high potential and serious incident investigations.
- Provide safety leadership and support to the site management teams in facilitating and identifying health & safety improvement initiatives and increasing awareness of company health and safety policies and procedures.
- Be a source of safety expertise and advisor for the site/depot logistics management teams. Identify and share good practices across sites throughout your region and with colleagues nationally.
- Liaison with the HSE and other external bodies in support of line management. Monitor and assist line managers with compliance against specialist areas provided by external providers e.g. Statutory Inspections, Asbestos/DESEAR/Legionella assessments etc.
- Act as health & safety representative as part of the company national working group. Brief supervisors and managers as appropriate, on health & safety issues, incidents, good practice and toolbox talks.
- Support sites to ensure risks are identified and robust management controls implemented in line with company policy, standards and procedures
- Provide guidance on safety & health training and development needs. Assist in preparation and delivery of appropriate H&S training, including familiarisation training with the Health and Safety Management System
- Participate in the company’s behavioural safety programme by completing face to face interactions in line with business requirements.
- Ensure that site documentation is maintained, controlled and records maintained to ensure ongoing compliance with the requirements of OHSAS 18001. Ensure all statutory (e.g. RIDDOR) and internal health and safety reports are completed and submitted on time
- Complete H&S management system audits: reporting of non-conformance and assist in identifying appropriate corrective and preventive measures and their effective close out by the responsible person.
- Support incident investigation ensuring all incidents are appropriately reported, investigated with the immediate and underlying causes identified, communicated and corrective actions completed by line managers.
The Ideal Candidate
- A level/HNC/Graduate calibre with NEBOSH Certificate and working towards Chartered Status of IOSH
- Currently working within a multi-site, road transport logistics focused, environment with a proactive and "best in class" health and safety culture and record where the emphasis is on supporting and promoting line management accountability for health and safety. This experience could be gained in house with a large multi-site manufacturer or retailer or third part logistics provider.
- Experience of road transport/logistics health and safety including loading/unloading/load restraint would be particularly advantageous. Any rail or port/marine experience would be useful.
- Proven leadership, coaching, training, communication and presentation skills
- A proven knowledge of relevant legislation and an understanding of OSHAS 18001:2007
- Good IT skills including Word, Excel and Power Point
- Experience of management system auditing (preferably to Lead Auditor standard)
- Determination to work with others and drive to achieve results. Responsive to needs of works staff, with good interpersonal skills
- Experience of dealing with regulatory bodies.