Gross Margin Manager
Gross Margin Manager
£48,000 - £58,000 + Benefits
Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team and expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Warwick, Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re looking for a Gross Margin Manager to join our Finance Team to help us continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
Managing a team of three, responsible for the routine delivery and continuing development of gross margin reporting, including production of concise and relevant reports for management and the Exec. Working with the wider business to add depth of understanding to the results, the variances to Plan and inputs to the monthly forecast whilst identifying risks to the gross margin and incorporating KPIs to monitor the effectiveness of related internal controls.
This role has responsibility for reporting, forecasting and process development for UK Energy and Telco business, other revenue and potential future products.
The role day to day
- Prepare and deliver timely and accurate reporting of the month end gross margin position for the management accounts, using an analytical and logical approach to derive clear conclusions from complex data sets.
- Support the monthly gross margin forecasting process.
- Work across the wider business (in particular the Billing, Settlements, Trading and Revenue Assurance teams) to validate the reported positions, capturing reconciliations to alternative data sources, providing explanations for variance to Plan and identifying potential margin opportunities.
- Work with relevant teams across the business to drive new data / systems to develop and enhance / shorten the month end gross margin process, ensuring the finance reporting models evolve in line with Business developments.
- Support the monitoring and reporting of KPIs relating to risks within the gross margin, validating the source data underpinning these.
- Direct and manage the workload of the Gross Margin team, including objective setting and performance appraisal.
- Work with project teams across the business to assist adhoc business projects, sharing end to end process knowledge.
What you'll need to help you make the best of the role
- An accountancy qualification.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- A self-starter with a passion for continuous improvement.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, that can be applied confidently throughout the Business up to Director level.
- Efficient and effective working both within a team and on an independent basis.
The 'nice to have's'
- Existing knowledge of the utilities industry or experience of working in a fast paced, complex industry would be advantageous.
What you'll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme,cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday. So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it’s important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.