Principal OLE Design Engineer
Reporting to the Rail Sector Director, your key function will be providing leadership at a project level, deploying and managing resource in line with programme requirements; identifying and managing supply chain partners and owning commercial control of your programmes and achieving financial targets set by the Director in charge.
The type of individual that we are looking to employ would need to be outgoing, proactive, show initiative and attention to detail.
Key Principal Engineer duties associated with this role include:
- Leadership and checking of OLE allocation design at feasibility, scheme and detailed design stages, working closely with senior and junior designers.
- Checking of deliverables including layout plans, cross sections, switching diagrams, bridge designs and bonding plans
- Work in accordance with all relevant railway industry, client, railway group, and technical standards
- Checking of accurate, clear, high quality technical reports and specification in English
- Operate under nominal supervision for the majority of the work ensuring the production of deliverables to agreed deadlines and within budget.
- Delivery of target project outcomes for technical quality, cost, fee, program and repeat business
- Proactive management of own time; and attendance at design team meetings
- Undertaking site surveys / site visits where required
- Delivery of robust forecasts for design delivery and tender estimates
- Day to day liaison internally with project manager and wider multi-disciplinary delivery team
- Feed into Program Control via Primavera P6, and document control systems as required
- Change and risk management;
- Ability to communicate effectively with other colleagues in the team.
- A flexible approach to working hours and working locations.
- Ensure that regular appraisals are held with the line manager.
- Ability to deliver projects within timescale and act comfortably under pressure.
- Comply with the Data Protection Act and adhere to our client's intellectual property and confidentiality regulations.
- Always behave in a professional manner befitting our client's reputation.
- Ensure the working environment is maintained in a safe and tidy condition.
- Comply fully with our client's drugs and alcohol policy.
To work closely with the Rail Sector Director, project and commercial managers, and Business Development leaders:-
Be a champion for the development and implementation of best practice across the team;
Provide leadership to internal teams to support the successful delivery of project work including junior staff and technicians;
Drive technical development, CPD and institute activities across the team
Liaison with clients (Network Rail, Train Operating Companies, contractors and consultancies) to support the successful delivery of services.
Development and management of relationships at all levels within a client's company to support the successful delivery of services and the securing of future work.
Increase brand awareness
Chartered in their specialist area e.g. IMechE / IET or similar
Degree qualified with experience or minimum HND .
- Experience of working in the rail industry, ideally with contractor, consultancy, or client experience
- Knowledge of all relevant railway industry, group and technical engineering standards
- Knowledge and/or experience of OLE construction methods and installation techniques
- Excellent contract and commercial awareness
- Proficient user of industry standard tools such as AutoCAD and/or Microstation; Microsoft Office packages; working knowledge of ELLF packages for OLE projects highly desirable.
- Excellent leadership, communication and team working skills with the ability to develop working relationships quickly and effectively.
Ability to read, write and communicate in a language additional to English beneficial but not essential.
Our client performs its business within open plan offices and operates a no smoking policy. There is a designated smoking area at each of our client's Office allocated for use by company employees.
The normal place of employment will be Derby. However, there may be a requirement to work in other UK locations as required by our client's to meet the needs of the business.
There may be a requirement to carry out site visits on occasion and thus compliance with local procedures and safety arrangements is essential. You may be required to work under Network Rail Personal Track Safety Certification.