Health and Safety Advisor
My client, a trades company based in Kiddermister is currently looking for an experienced Health and Safety Advisor to work in house with the ability to go onto site to check installation work there. This is a varied role which would suit someone from a construction or trades background.
- carry out risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced;
- outline safe operational procedures which identify and take into account all relevant hazards;
- carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented;
- ensure working practices are safe and comply with legislation;
- prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policy;
- lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks;
- keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements;
- record incidents and accidents and produce statistics for managers;
- keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry;
- attend Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) seminars and read professional journals;
- produce management reports, newsletters and bulletins;
- ensure equipment is installed safely;
- manage and organise the safe disposal of hazardous substances, e.g. asbestos;
- advise on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
Skills and Experience:
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in order to explain health and safety processes to a range of people and to give presentations to groups;
- negotiating skills to convince managers of the need to implement and maintain safety standards that may compromise speed or efficiency in the organisation;
- patience and diplomacy because the profession requires a collaborative approach;
- the ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately;
- an investigative mind;
- IT skills;
- attention to detail;
- a flexible approach to work;
- an interest in the law and the ability to understand regulations;
- Relevant health and safety qualifications
- Experience within a trades or construction role
Randstad Business Support acts as an employment business when supplying temporary staff and as an employment agency when introducing candidates for permanent employment with a client. Randstad Business Support is an equal opportunities employer and decisions are made on merits alone.
Why not listen to some of the inspiring stories from our candidates and their one piece of career advice. It's just a few of the thousands of people who have found success in their working lives with Randstad. Visit to find out what you could become.