Senior House Steward
Can you bring our special place to life in all sorts of exciting and imaginative ways? Are you passionate about great conservation? Can you deliver exceptional service every time, for everyone? If so, this is the perfect job for you.
This is a Key Representative role. This means that accommodation is provided to the postholder for the proper or better performance of his or her duties in accordance with Trust criteria and HMRC rules.
What it's like to work here
Coughton Court is one of England's finest Tudor houses and has been home to the Throckmorton family for 600 years. Coughton has fine collections of furniture, family portraits and Catholic memorabilia which help us share the story of 'One House, One Family, One Faith - a family's struggle to remain true to its faith'. The house is set in award-winning gardens including the spectacular Walled Garden and orchards.
What you'll be doing
You will already have proven experience with managing an historic house and its collection or with museum collections, as well as successfully leading staff and volunteers - this role will give you a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills further. Working alongside the portfolio's operations manager you will work closely with the wider property team to make sure that we are not only looking after this special place to the highest standards, but we are also providing the best, creative visitor experience.
Our volunteers are particularly important to us and are key to delivering fantastic visitor experience as well as assisting with the conservation of our property. You will be the main link for our Conservation and Engagement volunteers and it's important that you have experience and knowledge of how to work well with them.
As a Key Representative you will live onsite and be part of the out of hours security and emergency teams, so you'll be calm in a crisis and an effective teamplayer.
You will make sure that our house and collections procedures and ways of working are in line with Museum Accreditation status as we work towards accreditation.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert and the additional information with a bit more detail about this role within the Coughton Court team.
Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Knowledge and operational experience of collections management and care in historic properties and some experience of collections management systems
- Good working knowledge of preventative conservation and an awareness of Museum Accreditation standards
- An impressive eye for even the smallest of details and are comfortable working from height
- Knowledge of Health and Safety & emergency procedures.
- A degree in relevant field or equivalent and/or operational experience in historic properties.
- Some knowledge and experience of managing budgets and finance.
- Experience of managing volunteers and an understanding of the volunteer journey in the Trust
- People management skills and experience in getting the best out of people, including setting personal objectives and conducting development reviews
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage with a variety of audiences.
- An understanding of how enhance our visitor experience through the presentation of information or interpretative material
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as GBP2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking