This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual looking to progress their career, to join our highly successful and expanding Education Team. The role will be based in our Birmingham office but may require occasional travel to London and any of our other locations or off site as client demands require.
The successful candidate will work for our institutional education clients, primarily for state funded schools but potentially including work for fee paying independent schools.
As regards work for state funded schools, this role will focus on a full range of education law advice for academies and other schools, including advice on governance and leadership, the formation and development of multi academy trusts, and all other forms of school re-organisation and significant change. There will also be an opportunity to develop other areas of education practice, notably pupil admissions, behaviour and exclusions, special needs, disability and other equality issues, pupil safeguarding and all other forms of pupil and parent issues, and all aspects of routine school management. The post holder will display a flexible approach to what is a fast moving and dynamic area of law.
The successful candidate will be a qualified solicitor. Relevant experience is preferable but not essential and full training will be provided. If the candidate has not worked in the education sector before they will need prior experience of working for corporate clients and/or charity clients.
Guidance and direction is available from more senior members of the Team on more complex matters, and training and support will be provided to assist your personal development. It is encouraged that employees take ownership and responsibility for work, at increasing levels of significance in order to progress their position over time within the Team and the Firm.
- Effectively manage an individual caseload (with supervision where appropriate).
- Attend to clients of the Firm in the office or elsewhere if needed.
- Work in a collegiate and collaborative way within an immediate Team and wider Firm environment.
- Communicate promptly and effectively both internally to colleagues and externally to clients.
- Maintain your continuing professional development requirements and take an active interest in furthering your knowledge within the field of law.
- To carry out your work for both colleagues and clients to the highest possible standard, having regard to the Firm's standards, procedures and core values.
- To regularly attend, and be involved in preparation for, Team meetings.
- To attend and be involved in preparation for marketing and business development events and activities, and to make contributions to our Education Bulletin.
- The successful candidate must be prepared to work beyond standard office hours in order to meet deadlines where necessary.
Our environment is positive and supportive but often highly pressurised due to external deadlines and volume of work. We need someone that is pro-active and able to manage potential pressure.
We are committed to recruiting talented individuals and providing our clients with outstanding legal service and so excellent academics along with sound previous experience are a must have.
The candidate should be well-organised, technologically proficient and capable of working on their own or within a team. They will also be required where necessary to provide supervision to more junior members of the team.
Exceptional "client facing" and other interpersonal skills will be vital, together with a capacity to work autonomously. The ability to work in harmony with others and to contribute to a focused working ethos will also be important.
We operate within an environment of mutual trust and respects and so the ability to contribute to a pleasant working environment for all concerned, will be important.
The post-holder will report on a day-to-day basis to senior members of the Education Team and overall to the Head of Education Team. The role will be based in the Birmingham office but will be required to liaise frequently with colleagues in other Offices.
Working hours: 9.00am - 5.30pm.