Joinery Operations Manager
Joinery Operations Manager
GBP60,000 -GBP65,000 + car allowance
The successful Joinery Operations Manager will effectively manage and monitor all aspects of the Joinery Department including programming/administration, financial management and reporting, managing direct labour and sub-contractors.. They will demonstrate strong leadership and communications skills with the company Joinery team (site and workshop), the Symm building management team, design teams and the client. They will invest time in proactively leading and managing their team, including regular appraisals.
They will be an active member of the company Senior Management team, helping win new work, supporting the Joinery team and sharing best practise.
The ideal candidate will come from a similar background industry in Joinery or Woodworking/Construction.
Principal areas of responsibility: -
- Lead the Joinery Installation manager, The Drawing Office Manager and the Workshop Manager in achieving the financial departmental targets and exceeding margins and client expectations on every project. Report on budget progress and manage the expenditure.
- Lead the motivation of the workshop and bring inspiration to the team through great communication and understanding.
- Manage the Joinery Installation Manager and support this role to ensure timely production of programmes to suit the client's project programmes and to best meet the client's end date expectations. Assist with the programme management between sites and the workshop and take overall responsibility for the execution of the projects and communicating with the clients on all changes
- Oversee the contract management of the projects and work closely with the Joinery Installation Manager to ensure the project procedures are followed and developed. Work closely with the whole team to bring a clear understanding of financial responsibility to each role in the department.
- Ensure that the project filing system is set up and maintained by the Joinery Installation Manager and Joinery team as set out in the Symm procedure manual and that the site documentation is filed and copies of all correspondence are properly distributed to all concerned.
- Chair monthly departmental meetings and rigorously follow up on action points. Manage the issue of minutes.
- Chair the handover meetings when a project is won and ensure the targets and financial controls are in place.
- Assume overall responsibility for Health and Safety on sites and in the workshop. Research and develop new production techniques and systems and work to implement changes where necessary to improve productivity both in the workshop and on sites.
Department - Financial Management
- Manage and control the costs of the department. Work closely with the surveyors, supervise and assume responsibility for cost control, valuations and notification of changes of time and money. Ensure all contractual paperwork is in place to assist in the management of costs and time.
- Liaise closely with the Finance Team to ensure prompt payment and rigorous control of bad debtors. Report to the Finance Director on a weekly basis the status of outstanding debt.
- Manage and develop financial reporting on a monthly and quarterly basis to the Managing Director and to the joinery team. Manage the Work in Progress quarterly reporting and liaise with the Finance Director on budget control and financial workload projections.
Departmental -direct labour and sub-contractors and procurement of materials
- Manage the team to develop in house training and external training for improving capabilities in leadership and management skills.
- Oversee the surveyor in the placement of, specialist and general sub-contract orders. Effectively negotiate costs either with the surveyor or personally.
- Adopt an open and inclusive communication style as taught on the Living Leader course.
- Carry out effective weekly meetings with the Joinery Management team
- Regularly engage with the workshop teams and create an inclusive team where ideas from all levels are shared and encouraged
- Actively communicate information about the company's performance to the team and seek feedback to share with the Managing Director and Chairman.
Leadership and Management
- Support your team to achieve high standards of performance through giving regular feedback and managing any issues as they arise. Actions should be noted down and followed up at the next meeting.
Be proactive in the performance management of all personnel. Have effective annual appraisal discussions in line with the company processes. Chair all relevant meetings and ensure minutes are taken where required in accordance with Company procedures.
Seek regular feedback on personal performance from the Managing Director and members of the site team.
Lead and promote the company and be actively involved in winning new projects by working with estimators to provide technical support to submissions as well as being part of the Symm Joinery team presenting to potential clients and their professional team.
- Actively support other members of the team where skills and experience are complementary and relevant.
- Ensure that best practise is shared and performance of sub-contractors, both good and bad, is shared within the team and with the Estimators.
Position: Joinery Operations Manager
Responsible to: Managing Director
Responsible for: The Joinery Department