Health and Safety Coordinator
If you are a health and safety professional who proactively works to prevent illness and injury and you make a habit of achieving H&S excellence, this could be the role for you.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, determined and passionate Health and Safety Officer to join Wincanton, a leading third party logistics (3PL) and supply chain solutions provider in the UK and Ireland. As the largest British logistics company we work in industry sectors as diverse as milk, defence, energy, retail, consumer goods and construction, supporting every stage of development and adding value through our supply chain expertise and innovative approach to logistics challenges. With over 17,000 colleagues across more than 200 sites and a 3,400 strong fleet of vehicles, we put our customers at the heart of everything we do and our mission is “to make our customers business’s better, every day.”
Screwfix (part of the Kingfisher group), have over 500 trade counters as well as a full e-commerce next day service. We operate over 2m sq ft of warehousing and have 2500 colleagues and 350 trailers dedicated to the contract. Fulfilling multi-channel solutions designed around the customer experience, the growth of the Screwfix business has been 14% year on year.
Due to continued success and business growth we are recruiting for a Health and Safety Officer to join our successful Screwfix contract at a new site due to open November 2017 in Lichfield (Fradley Park).
The Lichfield site will support the existing Stafford operation to provide seamless replenishment of over 3 million units per week to the Trade Counter retail network.
This challenging role will be the perfect opportunity to become part of a start-up team with a customer that continues to realise its ambitious growth.
Our people are at the core of our business and what makes Wincanton great. That’s why we provide significant opportunities for career progress, as well as training enrichment and multi-skilling, in a dynamic working environment.Role Profile
- Work with the site team to achieve best in class H&S performance and build a proactive H&S culture in everything we do
- You will ensure that the site is legally compliant in all areas of H&S management, which are relevant in a warehousing and logistics operation
- Support employee wellbeing and health programmes and drive environmental focus and engagement
- Assist in the H&S training of the management team
- Review the sites exposure to H&S risks and identify and implement, where appropriate, the necessary preventative and corrective measures
- Ensure timely updates are provided to the H&S Manager and operational management on H&S performance and trends using appropriate tracking systems and risk profiling
- Monitor the implementation of H&S initiatives to ensure that expected results are achieved and benefits realised
- Assist in the review of all H&S procedure and documentation in line with both legislation and Company requirements
- Maintain records in a timely manner through the management system
- Ensure risk assessments and safe systems of work are developed, monitored and imbed for all activities
- Conduct Company self-assessments where required and work with site to ensure all actions are closed in a timely manner and reviewed for effectiveness
- Conduct, analyse and review incident investigations to ensure causes are identified, corrective actions are taken to prevent re-occurrence and review the actions taken have been effective at reducing the risk to acceptable levels
- Conduct any ad hoc duties required to support the operation and wider business
- Reporting to the Health & Safety Manager
- Line management responsibility of the site H&S Administrator
- Hold a NEBOSH General Certificate as minimum
- Proven experience of delivering results in a warehousing and logistics environment
- A good working knowledge of health and safety
- Ability to engage, influence and pro-actively challenge management teams to get results
- Possess excellent project management and presentation skills
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to communicate in an open and honest manner
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships, ensuring clear and concise communication routes for a collaborative working relationship
- Flexibility in terms of hours of work to support the operation
- Forward thinking and self-motivated, with a strong work ethic and an ability to think outside the box
- Will promote positive health and safety engagement and demonstrate positive health and safety conduct at all times
- Will seek opportunities for improvement whilst maintaining excellent H&S performance
- Excellent organisational, analytical and problem-solving skills
The role provides an excellent opportunity to join a high profile and challenging contract and is an ideal role for an individual who is looking to develop their H&S career within an exciting environment.
We really value our people and offer a friendly working environment, a focus on developing your skills and a competitive salary. Benefits include access to a company pension scheme with employer contributions and other optional schemes you may wish to join. These are just some of the reasons which make Wincanton a great place to work!
If you feel that you have what it takes to support Wincanton in delivering the best service, we would love to hear from you so please submit your CV online
Internal applicants - Please inform your manager if you wish to apply for this position.
No applications from agencies will be considered.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76018567