JOB DESCRIPTION FOR: MNA Recruitment
JOB TITLE: Senior Science Technician (Permanent) / Science Technician (Maternity cover)
SALARY: Permanent £15,333 - £17,521 / Maternity £14,071 - £15,333
HOURS: Full-time, term time only
Our client is amongst the best performing sixth form colleges in the country. It has a consistent performance record and continues to compare well with other providers in most of the new performance indicators now included in league tables. Their full time, level 3 16-19 success rates have been amongst the highest in the country for five years. The last published data show the college operating at a 93.5% success rate for all long courses.
The College’s buoyant local reputation has always led to oversubscriptions of applicants for places usually by a ratio of 2 to 1. Unlike most sixth form colleges, our client has only full time students aged 16-19 with a curriculum based upon academic GCE A levels.
In 2014 - 15 the college introduced a Cambridge Technical course in PE and a Diploma in Higher Education, validated by Middlesex University. Within this part of the West Midlands, the College has established an enviable reputation as the main and the most successful provider of A level courses. A highly successful inspection was carried out by Ofsted in January 2008 with the college graded as outstanding overall.
Our client is seeking to appoint two 'Science Technicians'
One permanent, full-time position and one temporary, full-time position to cover maternity leave.
The post holder will provide general support in the area of science to ensure safe and effective curriculum delivery, reporting directly to the Chief Science Technician. The sussessful candidate will be expected to work flexibly across a range of functions in order to fulfil the requirements of the post.
The permanent, full time post will commence at the end of October 2017.
The temporary, full time post will commence at the end of October 2017 until early March 2018.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Provide specialised subject-based support to a subject area within science
- Timely and accurate preparation and use of specialist materials, equipment and resources, required by staff for lessons.
- Maintain a work schedule in order to control all tasks and preparation.
- Set up and test demonstration experiments and ensuring that they will work satisfactorily.
- Recovery of residues and dispose of waste in appropriate manner.
- Sterilisation of apparatus.
- Care of animals and plants kept for observations and experimental purposes, both in term and during vacations.
- Clean apparatus used by others if it is difficult or dangerous.
- Inspect and arrange for repairs to furnishings, equipment and services, maintaining labs in good working condition.
- Undertake technical support for structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes. 2.
- Assist with the testing of electrical equipment within one of the three science areas. In addition, the Senior Physics Technician will test electrical equipment elsewhere in the College, with help of other trained technicians.
- Assisting in construction and preparation of the audio-visual aids and maintaining the AVA equipment used within the science department.
- Testing the airflow in fume cupboards, recording results, ensuring safety, report if repair is required 3.
- Safe storage and disposal afterwards of all consumables.
- First Aid treatment of minor laboratory injuries and the maintenance of First Aid equipment in the laboratory area.
- Give directions to science technicians and trainees as necessary
- To provide examination invigilation and occasional classroom cover
- To participate in the college’s staff appraisal system as appropriate
- To take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- To present the best possible image of the college in general, and, in particular, in all contact and communications with the general public, visitors, parents, students, customers, suppliers and all other external organisations.
- To undertake training and staff development as needed and as determined by the college
- To undertake such other duties, commensurate with the post, which your managers, or other members of the Senior Management Team may reasonably and occasionally require, including working evenings and covering for absent colleagues.
- HND/C - Science or others relevant (Essential)
- Degree - Science or others relevant (Desirable)
- H & S Training Certification (Desirable)
- First Aider Certification (Desirable)
Experience and Interests
- Storage and Stock Control
- Laboratory Operations and Management
- Laboratory experience in at least two from Biology,
- Chemistry and Physics
- Health & Safety Awareness and monitoring
Skills and Understanding
- Supervisory ability
- Team player
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and work to time constraints
- Ability to work for more than one manager
- Record keeping
- Awareness of security needs
- Use of computers and software
- Suitable to work with children and young people CRB/ISA
- Commitment to high standards of service
- Empathy with young people
- Willingness to receive training
- Prepared to dress appropriately
- Flexible attitude
- Sense of Humour
If you have the relevant skills and would like to be considered for the job 'click’ Apply