Trainee Night Manager
Trainee Night Manager
About the Trainee Night Manager Role:
Joining us as a Trainee Night Manager, you’ll work with the Night Manager to manage the night shift operation in our Birmingham warehouse location; role involves management of the night operation ensuring accurate and timely delivery of newspapers and magazines out to our retailer partners.
You’ll report directly to the Night Manager and will be part of the management team, deputising and running the operation in their absence. Training and guidance will be provided in order to develop the skills needed for a higher management position.
In this interesting and challenging role you will be responsible for:
- Planning and resourcing to ensure a smooth night operation
- Supervising all staff. Providing training and coaching and identifying training needs
- Providing accurate reports that highlight any challenges or successes
- Working closely with the management team to identify potential risks
- Maintaining a high level of health and safety at all times
- Ensuring compliance with transport legislation and company policy
Although a track record in warehouse management would be desirable, people management experience gained in other sectors would be considered. You’ll also be able to evidence:
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment
- Managing a large operation and the ability to liaise at all levels
- Outstanding communication skills and the credibility to effectively build relationships with all team members and management
- Experience of planning and effectively executing a night operation. Dealing with all issues and challenges as they arise
Although not essential, experience of working in Newspaper and Magazine distribution would be advantageous.
Part of Connect Group PLC and the UK’s leading newspaper and magazine distributor, Smiths News currently has a 55 per cent share of the UK market and distributes 40 million newspapers and 14 million magazines each week. Smiths News enjoys a 200 year-old distribution heritage, and serves 35,000 customers from its 39 nationwide distribution centres, operating in the world’s fastest moving supply chain.
Working on behalf of all major national and regional publishers, Smiths News distributes a diverse range of print media to general retailers and smaller independent newsagents.
As an innovative organisation with a large geographical footprint of distribution centres and a diverse range of services to existing and new business partners, the Company diversified into new markets in 2014 and launched Pass My Parcel - a parcel service for sending, collecting or returning parcels from as early as 7am, daily, 364 days a year. Pass My Parcel now enjoys a rapidly growing client base which includes Amazon, H&M, ASOS, FCUK and The Wine Society.
In 2014 the Company also launched its Jack’s beans Coffee Company - a Fairtrade bean-to-cup self-serve coffee for consumers on the go.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/76772447