Debt Recovery & Legal Manager
Debt Recovery & Legal Manager
Worcester | Permanent | £40,000-£50,000
A British multinational engineering company is looking to hire a legal professional to advise Project Managers & Directors and business management on debt recovery and other issues relating to client accounts.
The client's Finance Shared Services Facility (SSF), based in Worcester, is a corporate function that provides finance, accounting, reporting and processing services to the group's businesses, mainly those based in the UK.
This role seeks to:
* Manage and develop the in-house SSF Debt Recovery Team (part of the Accounts Receivable department), providing professional advice to internal clients relating to contractual/construction debt matters and claims.
* Manage, support and develop the Customer Address Book (client standing data) and Credit Risk functions.
* Administer, enhance and expand the Group's provision of Expert Witnesses to the Legal and related professions.
The position reports into the Head of Accounts Receivable and has two direct reports.
* Provide professional advice to Project Managers & Directors and business management on debt recovery and other issues relating to client accounts; and oversee advice provided by the Paralegal.
* Ensure client accounts are handled within the SSF Debt Recovery Team efficiently and effectively. Processes include referral to legal action of different types: negotiation, mediation, adjudication and litigation.
* Ensure the associated documentation and administration is done to a high standard, following standard procedures.
* Manage supplier accounts that are subject to legal action.
* Manage HR debt matters that are subject to legal action.
* Oversee the Customer Address Book function and provide support and advice as required.
* Oversee the management of insolvency matters.
* Take appropriate action regarding accounts in default.
* Oversee the maintenance of team databases and Sidetrade (cash collection software) work notes, ensuring these are up to date and accurate.
* Ensure that reports are produced efficiently and promptly.
* Provide and oversee the provision of advice on credit risk.
* Deal with external and internal enquiries regarding the provision of expert witness services.
* Deputise for the Head of Accounts Receivable where required.
* Provide ad hoc training to internal clients.
* Develop the skills of direct reports.
* Professional legal qualification e.g. solicitor or FILEX
* Must have a legal practicing certificate
* Good knowledge of Civil Procedure Rules and Civil Claims
* Good knowledge of Contract Law
* Experience in drafting legal claims/court documents
* Knowledge of alternative dispute resolution methods and procedures
* Knowledge of insolvency and bankruptcy law and procedure
* Experience of conducting client negotiations
* Microsoft Excel - basic level
* People management experience, including direct reports
* Working knowledge of construction contracts and in particular payment terms and dispute resolution procedures
* Experience in Construction Law
* Experience of working in a professional services client debt collection environment
* Financial awareness - to understand cost implications regarding the legal process and the impact on budgets
* Organisational - to prioritise workload in order to achieve daily tasks and ensure deadlines, including court dates, are met
* Communication - effective communication with internal and external customers
* Influencing - effective influencing and negotiating skills
* Information seeking - to be persistent and thorough when obtaining relevant information regarding debt matters, either through discussion or reviewing paper/electronic files
* Initiative - to manage workload and identify, 'own' and follow problems through to resolution
* Team worker - willingly co-operate and support all team members; appreciate being part of a wider SSF team
* Attention to detail - to be accurate and methodical when producing reports and preparing advice
* Coaching - in order to get the best out of, and develop, direct reports
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Please note that any references to salary or pay rates in this advertisement and in the salary refinement section are indicative only and should only be used as a guide.