Newsquest Digital Media are seeking to recruit a Developer.
This is a programming role for a developer who already has experience in working on large projects. With great knowledge of backend technologies, and a firm view on the front end, you’ll be able to help a small team of front and back end developers produce great software.
Newsquest, a Gannett company, is one of the UK's largest publishers of local media in print and online and owns a powerful network of over 200 local media brand websites across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; the largest audited online audience of any local newspaper publisher in the UK.
Based upon our market-leading 19 local daily and almost 150 weekly newspapers, the strength of our network lies in its ability to penetrate local communities by delivering highly relevant news, sport and leisure information along with extensive classified jobs, directory, homes and motors sections.
Research demonstrates the exceptional reach we have with our media brands in our local marketplaces, how we are now attracting a younger interactive and more affluent audience and how this audience is loyal, local and regards our brands as the best when looking for local news, sport, information and classifieds.
Newsquest Digital Media is NQ's internal digital division and operates across all core Newsquest digital business and product development.
We have a talented team of product managers, UX designers, scrummaster and developers who deliver and support our digital properties in a highly flexible environment. We deliver solutions for market-leading titles across multiple platforms using a variety of technologies but with a focus on PHP.
We have a great opportunity to join a focal team within a major, market-leading company with a current portfolio of 200+ websites serving 20m unique users a month. We are Agile advocates and we operate in an agency style, combining the fast pace and variety of a digital agency with the team spirit and ‘ownership’ of client work.
The Newsquest portfolio has experienced immense traffic growth over the past 18 months (with average monthly uniques of circa 16-18m) and the successful candidates will work closely with UX and Product teams across the business in order to capitalise on this growth.
What you've done
- Have at least three years of experience in a full development environment
- Worked with both SQL and NON-SQL databases (MySQL, Elastic Search, Redis)
- Have worked effectively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated good communication skills
- Worked with Git and other Source Control Management technologies
The following would be advantageous, but not essential
- Degree in Computer Science
- Experience in an Agile environment
- Experience in JS Front ends such as Backbone, Angular et cetera.
- Experience in Node, Grunt, Babel, webpack, and ES2015
- Experience in Elastic Search or related technologies
- Understanding of web design, web development technologies, SEO and online marketing
Who are you
We are all about the people…
- Newsquest stands for quality but is also a challenging and rewarding environment - a ‘can-do’ attitude is vital
- Fun, energetic and passionate about digital
- Highly organised, confident and self-sufficient
- Flexible; ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Completer – Finisher attitude
- Attention to detail
How to get the job
The interview process…
- Get through a first interview with the Development Manager and a Senior Developer
- Have a second brief telephone/Skype interview with the Platforms Director
Don't forget to....express strong views about our brands online
We’ll be pleased to give you….
- Remuneration dependent upon experience
- 25 days a year holiday
- Contributory pension