Role - Commissioning Engineer
Salary - GBP45,000.00 pa
The role involves all functions of substations including commissioning duties on plant and equipment, maintenance, site deliveries of projects, commissioning, fault investigation and repair, safety implementation and monitoring voltages raging from 11kv to 400kv.
The position is based in Staffordshire / Manchester / Poole Locations and will require the ability to work overtime to meet project deadlines.
Specific duties include: -
- Commissioning of plant as per program.
- Provide feedback on job delivery as required for the performance management of staff.
- Ensure staff utilise appropriate PPE, tools and equipment and that inspection policies are implemented.
- Undertake fault finding and diagnostic activities beyond that required of craftsperson including fault rectification, seeking technical advice where necessary.
- Undertake various commissioning roles.
- Be proactive in all aspects of the work program communicating with the project leader or the line manager as appropriate to enable the work program to stay on track and be updated to maintain target prioritization as necessary.
- Provide mentoring and/or training to members of the company.
- Utilise all relevant systems, including IT, email and paper based, to record and access data in an accurate and timely manner.
Essential skills, qualifications and experience: -
- Electrical engineering degree qualification or equivalent National Higher Diploma.
- Extensive experience in commissioning of transmission substations.
- Demonstrable engineering experience in transmission substations and protection systems, encompassing electrical, mechanical and telecoms disciplines.
- Sound technical knowledge of electrical and safety aspects of substation plant, including routine fault finding on protection systems and plant analysis.
- Sound technical understanding and working knowledge of protection equipment and/or main plant.
- Proven ability to undertake operational tests and read system drawings.
- Environmental awareness in respect of day to day duties, emergency response awareness as well as effective planning, communication and supervisory skills are required to lead small groups of staff to achieve efficient completion of tasks.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), able to effectively communicate with substation client personnel, planning engineers, senior authorised personnel, electricity network personnel, construction partners and contractors.
- Ability to implement settings on various protection relays as well as testing.
- Extensive experience in relay application design is required
- IEC 61850 experience on the Transmission system.
- Ability to work on SCADA as well as implementation and testing of the system.
- Extensive experience using Advanced Omicron CMC software to carry out protection testing.
- A firm knowledge protection used on the Transmission system ie Distance, Differential, Bus Bar, CB Fail to name a few.
START DATE 12 SEPTEMBER 2017 - END DATE 10 OCTOBER 2017