Our client is a growing organisation, which having enjoyed considerable growth has now reached a point where it needs to strengthen and develop it's Controls Framework and to put the building blocks in place to enable the efficient introduction of Internal Audit activity across the business.
Leading Midlands business.
- Analyses and determines a view on the effectiveness and efficiency of control environment (through both testing and interview techniques), including identifying control gaps and areas for improvement and the setting of acceptable standards, working with the Business Management teams to implement the required Control Frameworks. Also ensuring that those controls remain effective as the business develops
- Conducts risk assessments and identifies controls required to be in place to mitigate identified risks.
- Coordinates work with those responsible Risk, Legal & Compliance and other control-related activities, to promote compliance to internal policies and external (regulatory and legal) requirements.
- Where audit work is undertaken plans the work and Documents the results of audit work in accordance with applicable company and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) standards.
We see this role as a hybrid role developing and implementing the Controls Framework, including the setting and agreement of appropriate standards whilst at the same time undertaking a limited amount of audit activity to support the needs of the business, including meeting the requirements of the Regulatory Authorities. An initial task for this role will be to undertake an assessment of the Controls Framework determining our adherence to the relevant standards and calling out the activities needed to achieve compliance.
The Controls Manager will promote and embed a culture within the business where risk and the consequences of not managing risk is understood and managed with appropriate levels of control, documentation and mitigation, including the use of self-assessment techniques. A secondary role is to provide advice on internal control to management, including responding to questions on risk management options. The role holder needs to be able to demonstrate an active ability to work with the business at every stage of the Control Framework journey.
Essential Functional Skills/Experience
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Good knowledge of business operations in a heavily regulated, technology driven industry, ideally with experience in the Financial Services, Energy, manufacturing, Retail or Telecoms sector and risk-based auditing or controls development attained through at least 3 years of work experience with a focus on financial risk, IT controls and regulatory requirements.
- Experience of working in a highly visible, delivery-focused and fast paced environment, ideally with a forward thinking background, with the confidence to be able to put the case forward for appropriate controls and reviews.
- Strong desire to understand the technology supporting the business operations and how this technology may be developing and being implemented.
- Focuses on the Customer by understanding the business from the customer's perspective and by keeping in regular contact with customer facing teams to understand business priorities and issues.
- Ability to identify the root cause of issues and to understand the possible current and strategic implications
- Good understanding of the standards and recommended practices from a Controls, Risk Management or Audit perspective. And an ability to fully comply with those standards where applicable.
- Good and up to date knowledge of UK GAAP, IFRS and International Auditing Standards to understand the Finance implications of business actions.
- Experience of implementing and making use of IT based control and audit techniques
- Ability to manage projects and, when required, supervise other resources to follow sound internal control practices and to manage risks appropriately.
- Strong skills in negotiating, relationship building, problem solving, and timely problem escalation, with a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Recognised Accounting (eg CIMA, ACCA, ICAEW, ICAS) or Audit (eg IIA) Qualification
- Self-starter - comfortable with a lack of initial structures and able to set own agenda/priorities
- Hand On approach to the tasks involved in the role, from the initial assessment of the controls, to assisting the business in the documentation process, to the final review and testing of what has been put in place.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a range of external and internal stakeholders, which ensure that we not only have a robust and documented controls framework, but one which is fully understood at all business levels.
Excellent package on offer.