Programme and Project Solutions (PPS) Functional Leader
Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for a Programme and Project Solutions (PPS) Functional Leader – Project Management in our Birmingham office to join the Project Management team.
The PPS function leaders are accountable for the leadership of the community of practice and development and application of best practice processes, systems and techniques for their areas of responsibility. As technical experts for their field they are responsible for establishing a culture of technical excellence, innovation and continuous improvement within their functional area. The role is to ensure delivery procedures are robust, fit for purpose and staff have the levels of competence required for the execution of their technical roles. In addition, the role has a responsibility for assurance that technical deliverables are of the highest technical standard on a consistent basis.
- Developing and executing the functional strategy to ensure appropriate skilled staff, processes and technology is in place to support delivery of services to customers.
- Provide input and assurance during bid and delivery stages of projects to ensure service offered reflect appropriate approach for the customer needs.
- Supporting project teams to define the delivery approach and resource plan for complex projects.
- Own and maintain relevant and up to date procedures and best practice guides for use by staff within project delivery.
- Lead the development and establishment of appropriate training methods and courses to attain competence levels required within technical function.
- Establish a framework of competences within the discipline to allow measurement of skill levels within the business.
- Work with Sector Business Development Leads and Business Unit Directors to plan resourcing requirements to maintain skill levels and address skills gaps within disciplines and support the recruitment process through technical assessment of CV’s and interviews.
- Work with Educational and Industry Institutions to raise E&I profile in relevant disciplines.
- Represent the business on industry forums / panels where appropriate.
- Lead the continuous improvement of service delivery and development of best practice and thought leadership.
- Supporting Sector Business Development leads to develop service strategies and market / customer propositions
- Work with the Sector Business Development leads to identify and champion adoption of new / innovative techniques relevant to our business needs and project delivery.
- Line management of subject matter experts and management of the PPS practitioner resource pool to allocate staff to projects based on their technical capability and personal development.
- Technical leadership of services delivered to clients. The role is expected to combine leadership activities for the technical area alongside involvement in the delivery of technical services to clients.
- Management of unit costs and revenues.
Skills / Qualifications
Technical Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Recognised at industry level in appropriate technical area and demonstrable experience as active participant in professional bodies
- Experienced in influencing external technical communities on behalf of the company and clients.
- Proven track record in application of technical governance to projects and proposals.
- Experience in the development and embedment of technical standards, techniques and processes.
- Proven track record in the successful delivery of infrastructure projects or programmes from initiation to completion.
- Proven experience of the development of technical functions including strategy and execution.
- Experience of the application and tailoring of project management approaches to suit projects of varying complexity.
Management Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Proven experience of motivating people involved in the function, understanding strengths and weaknesses to achieve a high performing team.
- Experience in the management of staff utilisation and optimisation of resource planning.
- Experience leading business change.
- Experience in the management of unit budgets and revenues.
- Experience in customer engagement and preparation of bids for technical services
- Confident communicator and influencer of stakeholders
- Strategic thinker and ability to solve complex problems
- Experience of providing consultancy services to clients including client relationship development, bidding, commercial management and conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of staff recruitment and performance management
Qualifications and accreditations
- Degree level or equivalent in an engineering, building, quantity surveying, science or business subject
- Project Management, Commercial or Controls technical qualification.
- Membership of appropriate professional institution
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.