Senior Cabling Engineer
Job title and location:
Senior Cabling Engineer – Derby and surrounding areas
WHO? Would you be working for?
My client provide a range of IT support services from help desk through to rapid response on-site repair and maintenance; with some of the prestigious names on the High Street as their customers.
WHAT? Are they looking for?
- The engineer should have a ready and willing attitude to take everything in their stride and be customer focused together with:
- Complete flexibility, enthusiasm and positive commitment in your approach to work.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal at all levels.
- Basic hardware / configuration skills.
- A full UK Driving License with no more than 6 points.
- Good geographical knowledge.
- Willingness to travel and if necessary stay away from home for extended periods.
- And a willingness to take on any other duties as the company sees fit.
- They will also be expected to assume the following responsibilities and/or possess the following skills:
- Responsible for the training and mentoring of the Cabling and Wireless Engineers
- Carry out quality audits of the structured cabling works and wireless surveys
- Wireless network planning, installation, surveying and fault finding using Air Magnet or similar software
- Ability to write technical documentation to an appropriate level
- Technical understanding of cabling diagrams and site drawings
- High level of cabling knowledge to assist Project Managers
- Monitor and control the quality of works to ensure good standard of works across multiple projects
- Actively attend Site Kick Off Meetings to ensure that all aspects of cabling have been covered
- The ability to lead by example to ensure exceptional H&S requirements, quality of works and standards on site
- The ability to comfortably quote for works to be complete across different sites
- Actively highlighting issues across the environment and suggest solutions to issues within the field
- Be able to visit sites, interact with Site Managers and Store Managers and provide site surveys
- Attend various training sessions either internally or externally to gain new skills
- Able to cover Cabling and Wireless Engineers responsibilities when required
HOW? Will you be working?
The role is field based involving direct customer contact to survey, design and implement structured cabling and wireless solutions for our customers and for the installation and refit of EPOS equipment, PC hardware, software and peripherals.
Essential skills required?
- Proven real wireless experience ideally gained in a retail environment
- Proven technical competence with a clear understanding of data cabling works and termination
- Working knowledge of structured cabling and telephony works
- Proven track record in the delivery of cabling projects
- Wireless Surveying tools and in-field experience
- Proficient with the Air Magnet suite of software
- CWNA or equivalent
- Experience with wireless switches (Cisco or Aruba) and Symbol Wi-Fi controllers and access points
- Real EPOS experience over a range of retail customers
- Proven technical competence with a clear understanding of practical diagnosis techniques
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft products
- Highly motivated and customer focused
- Must be able to embrace new technologies and attend courses as required
- Must be able to communicate both verbally and in written form
- Be able to adhere to company processes and provide regular submissions of paperwork
- Capable of controlling project stock and keeping the vehicle in a tidy and serviced condition
- Be available for overnight installations or shifts and work in other areas if required to do so
- Be competent to drive a company vehicle and possess a valid UK licence
- Must hold a current CSCS qualification
WHEN? Do they need people?
ASAP – 4 weeks/long notice periods will not have any negative effect on your application.
Apply Now - To apply please contact Hayley Mintern on: or email your CV to